is this the right one for me guys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choiwayne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have 55gal community tank. i am trying to grow some foreground plant, like micro sword. the local petshop guy is telling me i need lots of light and recommends...

Orbit 48" 4 x 65 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/4 Lunar Lights.

says this should be more then enuff for lighting. i am also thinking about getting co2 tank as well. let me know if this is the right light for me.

currently, i have.. 55 gal tank with 2 x 204 fluval running and 3 x 32watts flourescent light (96 watts). my water is about 7.0 ph.

4x65 watts is way more than enough light. Just know that with that much light and that size tank, you'll almost certainly have to go pressurized with the co2.

whoa! be careful with 4x65 watts of light. you'll end up with algae faster than you can turn the lights off! :) take a look at the 2x96 kit from ahsupply. if that fits, i'd suggest going with that because over 4.5 it a LOT of light and "lunar lights" are not necessary.

if you don't mind me asking, how much do they want for that orbit kit?

With that amount of light you would NEED pressurized CO2 right from the start. And like Mr. Burns asked, how much do they want for that light? And what kind of bulbs does it come with?

WOW....4.7 wpg! What the heck is that petshop things??? Check out AH Supply and see what they have to offer. I suspect AHS will be cheaper than your LFS, plus you'll get an awesome reflector.

You'll need a minimum of 2.5 wpg (3 is even better) for micro sword. CO2 injection would'nt hurt either.

Once you hit 2.5wpg, you need CO2 injection, or you'll be fighting algae all the time. And I don't mean a little algae... I mean green water, beard algae, etc...

And with that level of lighting you'll need to dose macros, iron and a good trace like plantex.

ok. thanx a lot guys. now i know. i'll check out the AHS for 2 x 96 watts.

-they, local pet shop, wanted $349 for the light. but i found this place who sells for $250 + $20 for s&h. also comes with stand.

thanx guys.

Good call. Been there, doing that (4x65 on a 55gal - 'scuse my while I run over there and dose.... 8O ). This light kit was a gift from a very well-meaning husband but the tank is a lot of work this way so I'm ready to save the lights for a larger tank and go back to the good ole days of 3.5 - 4wpg.

You can get 220 watts of AH supply lights plus a nice wooden enclosure for $249 + shipping. Also you will have a much better selection of bulbs in the 55 watt size vs the 65 watt size. And you will get much better reflectors. Also you will need a CO2 system so figure in the cost of that.

Back
Top Bottom