Is this true about German Blue Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO they look fine if water quality isn't off. I kept two, and one was very colorful and more darker and had a solid black dot, the other not as much, just light blue and orange. They've been that way ever since they matured. That's how the one I have is right now.

What are you lights? How long have you had your fish? And whats the tempature?

Solar 3x54watt T5HO fixture, week and a half, 82

Honestly this topic is getting really off track. I have no concern about the fish being ill they act fine and have from the day I put them in the tank. I simply am trying to find out if the fish that were sold to me are old dying fish because if so I will be getting my money back. :)

I find that Actin blue brings out rams colors really nicely. My breeding pair looks just like yours but there about a week post spawn, which explains there colors. Took my first batch of rams about a month or maybe even 6 weeks to look truly awesome.

Rams tend to lose color is stressed... but I don't think its that because in the pics they both had a lot of color in my opinion. I have heard of cases where the ram was stressed and lost a lot of color, but in your case it may be mildly stressed, but im not sure.

Solar 3x54watt T5HO fixture, week and a half, 82

Honestly this topic is getting really off track. I have no concern about the fish being ill they act fine and have from the day I put them in the tank. I simply am trying to find out if the fish that were sold to me are old dying fish because if so I will be getting my money back. :)
Sorry, but I don't agree that this is off-topic. I understand that you are not afraid of illness, but you asked our opinons, and we need to know some basic info on your tank and history to give it. Its irresponsible of us to answer blindly and say everything is fine when we don't really know.

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry, but I don't agree that this is off-topic. I understand that you are not afraid of illness, but you asked our opinons, and we need to know some basic info on your tank and history to give it. Its irresponsible of us to answer blindly and say everything is fine when we don't really know.

Agree! :THUMB:

Haha well I guess that's true but I was trying to find out if this guys full of bs or not and its sounding like he was.

CleverBs said:
Haha well I guess that's true but I was trying to find out if this guys full of bs or not and its sounding like he was.

It may just be what he has experienced though... we will never know!

It may just be what he has experienced though... we will never know!

True, I just find that working with more then one pet store creates the owners to be a bot hostile. Because as soon as they find out that you got something from another place they get defensive and bad mouth the product you bought. The owner claims to be an avid plant guy and bad mouthed my regulator I got from green leaf aquarium and told me his regulators were way better. Even though they had a low quality needle valve and posted 80$.

True, I just find that working with more then one pet store creates the owners to be a bot hostile. Because as soon as they find out that you got something from another place they get defensive and bad mouth the product you bought. The owner claims to be an avid plant guy and bad mouthed my regulator I got from green leaf aquarium and told me his regulators were way better. Even though they had a low quality needle valve and posted 80$.
Yeah, I have come across that a few times as well. Some people get angry when they find out where I bought my fish and basicly have said that my fish are bout to drop dead any second because they came some other store.

Yeah, I have come across that a few times as well. Some people get angry when they find out where I bought my fish and basicly have said that my fish are bout to drop dead any second because they came some other store.

Its just silly...but thank you everyone for your impute. I am going to start doing my water changes in Ro/Di water to get my hardness down.

What DH KH for German Blue Rams?

What KH DH should I shoot for for my planted tank with German Blue Rams in it?

I applied at petsmart and they ask if I was capable of selective selling. Prime example!

To be honest IME with rams if the colour was off i would not see the blue shine like you do in the photos. It became really dull. The female still would have her purple belly to...

CleverBs said:
my regulator I got from green leaf aquarium and told me his regulators were way better. Even though they had a low quality needle valve and posted 80$.
he only wanted to make a more profitable sale

there are variations in blue ram coloration, because of years of domestic breeding. Different sources may look slightly different. I have seen a wide range in coloration in the stores and from time to time. I would say those differnces were from different breeding lines.

the kh and gh that you should be shooting for is 3-6 drops. i get a ph of 6.2-6.4 and a kh,gh of about 6 by mixing 1/2 to 2/3 ro water with treated tap water. you have to experiment a bit but once you get the mix it's easy. i have 2 gbr's, 7 dwarf gouramis, 3 xray tetras, 2 sailfin mollys. they all like these parameters as well. select fish that like the same ph and soft water that your rams do. makes things easy.

one imporatant thing i forgot. water changes are VERY important to rams. i change about 15%-20% water every three days. i have a 45 gal. tank.

one imporatant thing i forgot. water changes are VERY important to rams. i change about 15%-20% water every three days. i have a 45 gal. tank.

yeah I do know this, I do large water changes to keep my water clean, Its very clean especially with the amount of plants I have in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom