Is this weird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluethumb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got this female betta, and I've noticed after she eats she gets a big belly, like she's gravid. It then goes away in half a day. Should I be worried?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435890320.253266.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435890348.122701.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435890377.852051.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are you feeding her an how much? Looks like she is over eating. I would cut back an only feed every other day

My Betta gets like this. They say their stomachs are only the size of their eyeball. I was feeding mine tetra pellets. They were too big for his mouth I realized. I switched to this omega brand. Much smaller pellets and he likes them a lot better. You can try a couple things. Feed her the inside of a pea. Like a tiny bit the size of her eyeball. That helps with digestion. You can also soak the pellets in tank water before you feed them. Remember how dry they are and they swell up inside their stomach. You could also try a flake food. I only feed my Betta like once a day with 2 or 3 pellets. Your Betta should be fine just make sure not to overfeed and maybe try some of the things I suggested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are you feeding her an how much? Looks like she is over eating. I would cut back an only feed every other day

I'm feeding her omega one flake food, and occasionally a pellet, which she sometimes doesn't eat. I don't feed them often, usually every other day.

I will second that it seems like bloat from over eating. Try feeding less when you do feed. Bettas are pretty well known for being over-eaters. I would also try switching food. I have had some experience in the past with some getting too bloaty on flakes.
So much chronic bloat may indicate an underlying issue with the betta's digestive system, but the best thing you can do in that case is to do your best to avoid too much bloating, and keep the water parameters as good as you can. Putting a single, shelled, blanched pea into the the feeding rotation may help too.

I will second that it seems like bloat from over eating. Try feeding less when you do feed. Bettas are pretty well known for being over-eaters. I would also try switching food. I have had some experience in the past with some getting too bloaty on flakes.
So much chronic bloat may indicate an underlying issue with the betta's digestive system, but the best thing you can do in that case is to do your best to avoid too much bloating, and keep the water parameters as good as you can. Putting a single, shelled, blanched pea into the the feeding rotation may help too.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom