Is this White Hair Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey P

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just notice a few long white strands in my tank. At first I thought one of the silk plants was unraveling, but when I tried to grab it, it just fell apart in my hand.

I had just done a PWC a few hours ago and it certainly wasn't there then so it must have popped up in the last hour or two. Can it grow that fast?

I do have Ich and I'm treating for it right now so the tank temp is around 86-88 and there's a lot of air being pumped in. I was also using Ick Guard 2 but after the PWC started adding salt.

I'll post some test results in a few minutes.

img_2379291_0_903a4700320035f877b0c8cfe265c118.jpg

img_2379291_1_97c5d944564cd052f94375302fe57e2f.jpg

All tests showed zero and the pH looked to be at 8.0 on the high pH test (it seemed a bit to dark for 7.6 on the regular test).

I get those too sometimes after PWC. I think they are just hairs or filter particals that have collected debris on them.

Whatever they are, they're mostly gone now. A few pieces wrapped around some of the fake plants, but if today was the first time I saw it, I wouldn't have even noticed.

Back
Top Bottom