is too much filtration possible??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennyLynchy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I've currently got a well established 60 litre tropical tank running and I've been lucky enough to acquire a Fluval U4 filter for next to nothing. Is it going to be far to strong for a 60 litre tank or can you never have too much filtration?

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated? X

You can never have too much filtration...within reason.

If the current is too strong for your tank you can modify the output to help calm it down.

Caleb

Hi everyone,

I've currently got a well established 60 litre tropical tank running and I've been lucky enough to acquire a Fluval U4 filter for next to nothing. Is it going to be far to strong for a 60 litre tank or can you never have too much filtration?

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated? X

"Technically" yes you can have too much filtration. Your tank will support a certain amount of beneficial bacteria and having enough media space for more than that is technically too much filtration :) Canister filters are a perfect example of this. Not that it hurts to have too much filtration.

Flow on the other hand is fairly easy to go overkill on. Generally 10x the tank volume in flow or less is recommended. I.E. 600 liters per hour for your tank would be the upper limit of what is recommended. With special care given to stocking you can go above this easily.

Back
Top Bottom