Is upgrading from a 20 long to a 29g worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a 29 gallon tank and stand off craigslist for $15. I painted the stand and used it for my 20 long tank. Now I'm considering replacing the 20 gallon tank with 29. Does that seem stupid for just a 9 gallon increase?

My current stocking is:
4 platy
1 GBR
8 neon tetras

But I think if I upgraded I would add some panda cory cats, otos, a female GBR, and maybe a school of rummy nose tetras. Plus I'd change from gravel to sand. What do you think?

It would give you a little more room for error, but honestly, if your tank is stable and you aren't having any water quality issues, it's not going to do much for you. If your water parameters look good, you should be able to add some smaller cories anyways. Really, I think it's up to you whether you want to spend the money for such a nominal upgrade.

The thing is that I already have everything (but the sand and fish) I'd need. I bought my filter and heater a little stronger than necessary, so I'd just switch them over and have an almost instant cycle. All I'd end up spending is $20 for sand.

I misread your post, my apologies. I thought it read that you were going to get a 29g for $15. If you already have the stuff, by all means... set it up. The problem is, you're going to be wasting a good 20 long. Is it possible to set both tanks up?

I wish. I'm still a teen so I live with my parents, I don't think my dad would go for 2 tanks.

I think we need to add a tank not replace one. Never let a good tank sit empty. I am sure that is a law somewhere.

Haha, I'm with you guys on this one. Maybe my dad will let me beautify the finished basement with a tank...

Could I add a female GBR and some otos to my current tank without the upgrade?

They are all good. The tank has been running for a while now. My water is pretty hard with a high ph, but I haven't had problems with my GBR.

Back
Top Bottom