It must be that time of the year for fiddler crabs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
My little male fiddler crab that I saved had molted about a week ago.

I left for work yesterday morning only to find that the little one i saved molted again!

I came back from work this morning and looked in my tank and I'll be danged if there isn't 5 shells in there of my crabs that molted durign the night.

Is it some thing thats allign to the moon and stars or something?

Also,w hat would make a fiddler crab expell all his limbs and die?

In another tank my largest male was found dead, he had nothing but 2 legs attatched to him at the time.. and hes not in an aggressive tank..

Is it some thing thats allign to the moon and stars or something?

It may well be that. Sea creatures (and FW too) are far more aligned to to moon cycles than land creatures are. Last few nights have been the dark of the moon, they may do this at this time, but I don't know why. No moon = no light= less danger to molting crab from predators? Just a guess.

Also,w hat would make a fiddler crab expell all his limbs and die?

In another tank my largest male was found dead, he had nothing but 2 legs attatched to him at the time.. and hes not in an aggressive tank..

No Idea, but I'd blame the female crabs :wink:

That's why they require brackish water, without the calcium in marine salt mix their shells can't harden after extended periods of time.
There's small amounts that come into your tank through tap water, but eventually it's not going to be enough.

Back
Top Bottom