It never ends... now ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
At least my fish stopped passing away but this ammonia is pretty bad right now. My bioload is all out of whack. I pretty much have to recycle with fish :( Both my tanks are messed up.

I did a 40% PWC this morning on 55gl and did a gravel vac.... this evening tested my water the ammonia is up in my 55gl and my 10gl (which has two fish that are to big for it in QT) so tonight I am doing a large PWC in my 55gl and did 50% in my 10gl plus gravel vac and adding biospira in the morning after the water is settled etc. It is hit or miss but doesnt hurt to give it a shot and stable out these tanks. I need to get those two large fish out of the 10gl it is to small and back in the 55gl.

I also stopped meds today and put back in the charc. media. I need to get the ammonia out and get these tanks under control. I can treat for ich (all signs are gone right now and heat is still up) all I want but the ammonia is going to kill them. Have to pick lesser of two evils right now!

I feel comfortable the high temps will keep the ich away now. The meds did help I think in my eyes, not happy I had to resort to them.

Every have moments it seems like you are getting slammed one thing after another? LOL Its frustrating!!!

I realize now with the growth of my fourlines and my pleco a 10gl QT isnt going to cut it. Why the 10gl is going out of whack is the load is to heavy. I am going to upgrade to a 29gl QT tank.

What is the best way to keep a QT cycled? add ammonia?

The 10gl worked out nice I kept a betta in it knowing I could toss him in a bowl temp. He is making bubble nests in his 2gl dish and happy on top of the fridge, water change every other day. I am sure he misses his 10gl though! LOL The 10gl was cycled but not ready for 2 6" fish. It still will work nice for my tetra.

I am going to get my 29gl before the 75gl though for sure so I have that piece of mind.

As long as you don't have any fish sensitive to salt, you can actually treat ich with high temperatures and aquarium salt without having to remove your charcoal media. If you want I can look around and find the amount your suppose to used. The only thing is, you only add more salt when doing water changed (like for ammonia) just don't add salt when you're topping off.

I did the salt/heat method and lost 3/4 of my fish and had to resort to medication, which finally cleared it up. It wasnt just ich, ich and what I believe was velvet. I do have some fish that dont like salt and had a mess. I was stuck on how much I could use.

I continued with the meds because it was killing off the underlying issue that caused the ich.

I wont lower my heat though for another week if not two though. I have no signs of illness in my tank right now, except one serpae who is cleared up almost. Still a little.

Ammonia in the water doesnt help it either so I had to pick.

Back
Top Bottom