It was almost a disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, on top of my betta dying in my 3gal for reasons unknown to me, and my goldfish dying in my 29gal for reasons unknown to me.. I almost had a disaster in my 75gal tank.

I hooked up a UV sterilizer to it a few weeks ago and I had to turn the flow down. Well, over the last few days my diatoms got REALLY bad and when I looked closer, there were the beginnings of dark green spots. Thats when I realized there was no water coming out of my outtake. After further investigation, my filter was so dirty that when putting it on a lower flow just completly stopped it.

So I cleaned out my filter, and have it running full blast and tomorrow I will lower the flow for the UV sterilizer. Ugh. That could have been bad!

Now, I need to figure out what to do with my 29 and 3gal tanks =o/

Sorry about your fish :(

I have a feeling my canister filter is running slow too. I'm procrastinating opening it up and cleaning it. I've had some bad algae breakouts and although it's coming under control, I bet globs of dead algae are in the filter.

Now that the filter flow is back to normal for you, you can evaluate the performance of the UV sterilizer a little better. Were you having green water difficulties?

Back
Top Bottom