It works! My new female betta just arrived in the mail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xena45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wow, when I ordered her on Ebay and had her sent via Priority Mail, it seemed a little too easy and cheap. But she was shipped on May 16, and I just got her today ( May 18 ), and she looks spunky and healthy. Who knew it could be so easy?!?

She's a crowntail with reddish fins and a whitish body. She's got a few small splotches on one side of her body; I knew she would, as the picture on the auction listing was quite accurate. Even with the splotches, she's still so much more interesting than the other petstore females that I have. I figure the spots give her character, and it's not like she'll ever be bred. For my first Ebay/live fish purchase, I wasn't willing to spend a ton of cash, and she was only $23, including shipping. Such a deal!

Now I just have to get her acclimated to female betta tank community living. (Don't worry, I have other options for her if she can't learn to play well with others.) She's currently in isolation, hanging inside the 15g, flaring at the other girls when they go over to investigate. If any of you have any handy tips for this, I'd love to hear them.

I'll take a picture of her good side, and post it in a few days.

I love Ebay. :D what fun!

COngratulations on your new fish. Nothing better than getting something new in a tank..... Ok I can think of a few things, but hey.

And you got what you wanted too!

Congrats on the good deal! I hope the new female can learn to play well with the others, but if not, I'm glad you have a backup plan. I'd love to see a picture! I have had a male crowntail before, but I've never seen a female crowntail.

new crowntail female w/pic!

Here she is:
IMG_8108_s.jpg

I posted a few other pics of her, in my gallery. Her fins change color in different light; sometimes they look quite red.

So far so good; she was in "isolation" (the little breeder thingee inside the tank) for about 24 hrs. Tonight I let her loose with the other girls...for about 2.5 hours so far. So far, she just seems bemused by all the space. The Ebay seller said that she's been kept alone in a 1/2 gallon bowl, and now she's in a 15g. She appears to be the alpha female, but she's also not attacking anyone...yet.

I tried feeding the girls bloodworms today, and they loved them! I got frozen ones. I think I'll feed the bloodworms once or twice a week. Bettas are so interesting..they gave the worms a good hard look before one of them would touch them. Then it was a frenzy.

I think she's very cute. :D My plan is to have a total of 5 female bettas in there, and maybe 3 little danios or rasbora hets....what do you think about that? It's a 15g tall tank w/ AC HOB filter.

beautiful betta, i'm not sure about danios, i have 3 zebra danios and they kept nipping my male's fins so i had to move him to a gallon tank....dont worry he likes it there more because he has big big bubble nests and flares at me when i come to the glass :D , bettas are awesome....if you want more information on what would go well with bettas you can go to www.bettatalk.com ...GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom