It's done... finally! New Tank on the way.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Many of you regulars here know that for the past 4 or 5 months I have been planning out a tank, very cautiously, to upgrade my 12 gallon to a 55 gallon. Well today I have the tank, stand, filter, heater, and a few other odds and ends such as test kits and a digital thermometer and such on order so I am now finally committed to getting it set up. I just wanted to post to thank everyone at AA for all the help they gave during my planning. I still have more to order but the bulk of it is there. If you are curious, here is what I have so far.

All Glass 55 Gallon bare tank
Blue Wave Stand (its actually square with a wave design FYI, not for a bow or wave tank)
Rena Filstar XP2
Hydor ETH In-Line 300W Heater
Coralife Power Center Single Digital
Current USA 48" Single Sattelite Fixture
2 x Current USA SunPAQ 65 Watt 6700k Compact Flourecent Bulbs
5 x 20lb Eco-Complete
1lb CSM+B Plantex
1lb Mono Potassium Phosphate
1lb Potassium Sulfate
1lb Potassium Nitrate

What I still need to order
Glass Hood - Simple hoods, can get em anywhere
Filter Media - Stars, Cylinders, etc.

What I want to make/find
CO2 Reactor - PVC pipe, inline type (I did order some bioballs too)
CO2 Supply - For now, will be a DIY system. I have time to practice without fish in the tank while it is cycling so I don't kill them.
Ornaments - Want to go natural, gonna look for driftwood and rocks to make caves and such.

I like the list.Looks good to me.

Natural is the only look imo...My 29 is just slate and plants.When the glass is clean its the best looking tank in the house.

I have tons of extra hydor ceramic bio-noodle cylinders I can send you for the cost of shipping if you want. PM me if you are interested...about 100 or so

I appreciate the offer, but I'm not sure its really worth the shipping, Petsmart sells them locally for $10 a pack.

I ordered the lighting. Went with the Current USA single sattelite and freshwater bulbs.

I got everything in except the Lights, Substrate and Tank. I am very happy with this stand, its a great material and easy to assemble (and disassemble since I rent an apartment). It uses a really cool locking screw device to put the pieces together instead of wood screws. A quarter inch turn and it unlocks and comes right apart. If not this stand I definately reccomend similar stands by the Aquatic Fundamentals company.

Last edited:
Just ordered my ferts. It's all coming together now. I'm so excited.

Thebluyak said:
just becareful when you dose Potassium Nitrate, dont do to much I did and had skyrocket ednitrates and did 4 or 5 water changes to get it back to safe levels.

Yeah, I'm going to use Chuck's Windows Calculator app to get it to proper levels after testing the water first.

Zagz said:
Congratulations, it is exciting. I will patiently await pics once it is all set up and running.

I'm probably going to start one of LWB's famous diary threads in the show off forum as soon as I get the tank up and running and have all the pics I need. I'm already planning to use his stone creations paint idea.

Back
Top Bottom