Its nice when the LFS pays you a little of your money back!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I kind of scored today. My Java fern was getting huge so I decided rather than mercilessly wacking it again, I would see what I could get. The lfs gave me about $10.00 and another comparable piece of bog wood plus an additional $5.00 since the bog wood I chose was a little smaller than the piece my Java had grown on. Then to sweeten the deal they tossed in a $5.00 "Compacta" Amazon Sword, which hopefully won't swallow the aquarium as it is suppose to only grow to about 8 inches.
Now I can't find any "Compacta" in my Baench, Kesselmann or Peter Hiscock books so I'm leaning towards thinking it is an Echinodorus parviflorus. If anyone has heard of this "compacta" variety, let me know. TIA

At least the fish will have more elbow room. And I have lots of baby Javas left in my other tank. It will be fun to reshape things. I'm still wanting a 90 gallon, except for the maintenance factor. Bob :D

Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'

This is a great little sword. It grows bushy, horizontall, but not very tall...it works as a fore or mid-ground plant.
Profile: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=100

I was lucky enough to order 1 of these from aquariumplants.com - it came with four long stalks which each had 4 additional baby plants growing off them.
6 weeks later, and I have 8 compacta swords in my tank :)

Maybe my lfs will do something similar my java fern is definitely grown but not enough to try to sell some. I'm sure a few months down the road there will be more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom