It's official: I have a ghost shrimp who is PSYCHO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will try to make this short since some info is repeated from another thread I already posted today. But it's so funny I have to share this part.

I have had 4 ghost shrimp in a 29 gal with 6 zebra danios, 5 dwarf neon rainbowfish, and 3 corys. All the shrimps ever did was hide during the day and never come out until after dark, because the rainbowfish would always pick at them. They never killed one, just would lunge and stuff and freak out the shrimps.

Well, due to a sickness, I had to euthanize my whole school of rainbowfish earlier today. Within a few hours after they were gone, suddenly my 4 ghost shrimps are out of hiding and all over the tank.

But one in particular is just goofy psycho. I noticed he would start in one front, right corner of my tank, get a running leap, and then fly through the water (my hob filter output is pretty strong and makes a current) and "ride" the current almost all the way to the other corner of the tank. Then he takes another running leap, and surfs the current back.

And he keeps doing this...back and forth, back and forth, right across the whole length of the tank.

Ok, so I watch him do this a while, then I had to leave. It was probably 4:30 PM or so.

I get back around 10:30 PM...and I discover HE'S STILL DOING IT! I have now been home for several hours (it's past 12:30 a.m. here), and I am looking over at my tank, watching this same shrimp still doing the exact same thing. lmao it's soooooo funny. He's now been doing this (I presume) for 8 straight hours. Everyone once in a while one of the other shrimps comes over, watches him, maybe joins him once or twice and then leaves again. But this guy just doesn't stop. I don't think anything I've ever seen in an aquarium has amused me so much. :p

That's all, I just wanted to share. Thanks for listening. :D

I did see your thread about the rainbowfish. I'm sorry :cry:

That's hilarious about the ghost shrimp! I had one in my betta tank for a week. I thought the shrimp was great to watch too. Mine wasn't as interesting as yours! I don't think the betta killed mine -- I think my water wasn't hard enough for him, but my betta almost constantly bothered him. I'm glad you're getting to enjoy your shrimp now, since they came out of hiding!

I thought it was weird seeing a ghost shrimp swim in the water column to catch a falling flake. Then I saw one do a "hot wheels" loop - she swam straight up, then onto her back, caught a flake off the surface and then swam to the bottom to enjoy her "catch".

hah, that almost sounds like my peppermint shrimp in my sw tank... he swims upside down and catches the current.. crawls back to the current and swims up to the powerhead...

I am sure they were not sorry to see those rainbows go - rainbows will likely try to eat shrimp - so they decided it was safe to cavort, I suppose - too funny! I really enjoy watching shrimp when they are comfortable enough to come out and do their thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom