Its official: Im addicted to Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warthog76za

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I was going to LFS with the aim of getting a new female swordtail. Get told that they only had males and will get in more only on Wednesday. So I though ..."Ok, best be off home then!" As Im walking, I spot these 2 tanks with shrimps, when I left the store I left with one Crystal Red Shrimp and one Blue Dwarf Shrimp. Personally when I got home I thought, geez, my swordtails are gonna the CRS in one bite, after the period of letting the bag settle and adding some water in the bag, when i let it free, it used a tactic of Attack is the best form of defence, it was hilarious seeing the smallest in the tank chasing anything that came close to it. Now there is peace again, everyone doing their own thing. Blue Dwarf shrimp, adds amazing colour to the tank.

I am pretty interested in getting a few of these myself. What are the typical water parameters? Will they bother baby fry? I am thinking it they get along with swordtails they will be OK with Mollies? Whadda think?

Some of the bigger shrimp kind of freak me out for some reason, but I love my RCS. I don't think I've ever seen the Dwarf blue shrimp before...very pretty!

Shrimp are lots of fun to watch. We have a tank for RCS but in our other tanks we have ghost shrimps as part of the clean up crew. Everyone backs away from the ghosts when it's feeding time. Even in our BW tank, the dragon gobys back away when I know they could chomp a ghost.

I am pretty interested in getting a few of these myself. What are the typical water parameters? Will they bother baby fry? I am thinking it they get along with swordtails they will be OK with Mollies? Whadda think?

Well in my tank the pH is 7,5 and the GH between 6,5 and 7. All inhabitants look happy. As for the rest of the questions, I think someone with more experience should comment. All my fry are in a aquahome, else the guppies and swordtails would have a field day!

As for my swordtails I wouldnt trust them with anything small. Even tried bullying the assassin snail the other day.

Not too sure of the CRS is going to fare well in that high of a pH. They aren't as hardy as RCS.

Back
Top Bottom