it's white, but is it poo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odobenus

Aquarium Advice Activist
THE TANK:
I have three buenos aires tetras and one red-tailed black shark in a 10 gal. tank. Yesterday the parameters were 7.6 pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate, and after testing I did a 20% pwc. It's a fairly new tank, but it finished cycling over a month ago.

THE PROBLEM:
This morning I noticed one of the tetras had something white hanging off, and it's still there this evening. It doesn't look to me like "stringy poo". It looks more like two pieces of white skin flapping around. Could this be some kind of parasite? I know my nitrates are a little high. Could that be a problem? The fish is showing no other symptems. She's very active, and eats like a little piggy, especially the shrimp pellets. (They get flakes in the morning and pellets in the evening.)

One other thought: the java fern were put in the tank about two weeks ago. The next day we noticed a small creature, which we first thought was a shrimp, lurking around the bottom. After closer scrutiny we decided the creature was not, in fact, a shrip, but some kind of bug or nymph. The next day it was gone. Could the plants or the bug have brought some parasites along?

I'm attaching two pictures of the poor fishy.

(p.s. I know (now) that the red-tailed black shark will outgrow our 10 gal, and I'm prepared to move him when he gets bigger.)

Attachments

• img_0914.jpg
    img_0914.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 78
  • img_0915.jpg
    img_0915.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 82
Your nitrates aren't high enough to cause a problem yet IMO. As far as the "white hanging off" ...dumb question but is it hanging off the poo area? LOL If its poo it will fall off. If its still hanging tomorrow then it is most likely something else. Try feeding the fish shelled peas. If its constipated that should help get things moving.

Is the fish rubbing up against things in the tank or flashing? That would definitely be a sign of parasites.

I haven't noticed any rubbing or flashing, and none of the other fish seem to be affected. (It's definately in the "poo area".) I'll definately try feeding them peas.

IME a "white poo" doesn't always equal parasites. If the white poo continues over a couple of days and is very stringy then I agree its most likely parasites. But if it happens once or twice and resolves on its own then I consider it more of a "fishy diarrhea" and I have definitely had fish that had the occasional white poo that cleared on its own. I have found this especially in newly introduced fish. Just my experience. But, yeah if the poo is still white and stringy after feeding peas and a day or so has past then definitely treat as parasites.

If it turns out to be parasites, I heard frading them garlic will get rid of internal parasites. it's like the peas and constipation thing.

sorry it's been a couple of days, here's an update...

The white poo-ish substance fell off, and hasn't returned. The fish seems to be just fine now. Last night my husband was watching the fish and noticed a little fry! Is it possible that the white stuff had something to do with egg-laying? (I'm not entirely sure, but based on size I think we have two female and one male BA tetras, so it could be possible)

Thanks for the advice on parasites, even though I didn't have to use it!

Back
Top Bottom