I've got a bug brown algae problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have a big problem

I had a large angel die yesterday and today another one died, I did a check, ammonia 0 nitrites.25, and nitrates 40!! Sheesh!
I know why now, last Tuesday I did a water change, and I noticed the brown algae was more concentrated and I cleaned the glass with a sponge, just one week later and look at this!!
I am doing my WWC tomorrow, and I am cleaning again, but I bet it's coming back again and throwing my nitrates off the charts
I was thinking of getting 5 otocinclus cats and one bn pleco, will that help control the algae?
Thanks
img_2543238_0_d991f6bfc67fb9a066e770e8c30812c4.jpg
img_2543238_1_e0032d96c3688841865697290f44790c.jpg
img_2543238_2_8e82c976c01d697143b8fa99e5704ccb.jpg
img_2543238_3_e226bd3ab47908f32dae9a7640087ac5.jpg

Thank you

Ok so I have a big problem

I had a large angel die yesterday and today another one died, I did a check, ammonia 0 nitrites.25, and nitrates 40!! Sheesh!
I know why now, last Tuesday I did a water change, and I noticed the brown algae was more concentrated and I cleaned the glass with a sponge, just one week later and look at this!!
I am doing my WWC tomorrow, and I am cleaning again, but I bet it's coming back again and throwing my nitrates off the charts
I was thinking of getting 5 otocinclus cats and one bn pleco, will that help control the algae?
Thanks
Thank you

Those look like diatoms. Was the tank set up fairly recently? It is said that nerite snails will eat diatoms and so will stiphodon sp., however I'm not sure how useful plecos or otos are with them. The good thing about diatoms is that they will eventually go away on their own. No need to really adjust anything you are doing.

Diatoms eventually run their course as the excess silicates of a new tank are used up. A few nerite snails would help but really just patience, an algae sponge (they should just wipe off), and maybe the temporary reduction of your photo period to 6 hours or so is all you should need.

I can't get access to nerites, so sure they are diatoms? Will apple snails do the trick?

They will help eat some off it and adding a few wouldn't be a problem but adding livestock is never a solution to an algae problem.

I can't get access to nerites, so sure they are diatoms? Will apple snails do the trick?

I am fairly positive they are diatoms, I had them in my 29g for a while. Since they will just run their course, I wouldnt fret about buying anything really, except an algae scrubbing pad to wipe them off as they appear.

I just want it to be off, I will keep the apples though I was looking for some so why not help!

I am fairly positive they are diatoms, I had them in my 29g for a while. Since they will just run their course, I wouldnt fret about buying anything really, except an algae scrubbing pad to wipe them off as they appear.

Ok I'll take them off thanks!

Apples wont help. Nerites are the best for diatoms, but if you cant get them locally, you may have to have them shipped. Ask your local petstores if they can order somein.
Or you could just clean the diatoms yourself. They wipe right off, and will eventually go away in time as your tank matures.

Back
Top Bottom