Ivory Snail for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smallfry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi folks,
I have a quick snail question. Would it be ok to move Speedy (my ivory snail) into my 46g tank with Rainbowfish, cherry barbs and a Pleco?

I've heard some fish will eat Ivory snails, but I have not found specific details on the fish listed above. Does anyone have personal experience with these fish and how they mix with ivory (apple) snails?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Loaches and large, whiskered catfish are the biggest threat to snails.
Your pleco and cherry barbs will certainly leave the snail alone. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the rainbowfish will bother the snail either.

I'm pretty sure the rainbows won't bother the snail. My plecos rasp on the shells and cause shell erosion though.

Thank you all for the responses. I remember back when I had my first tank about 5 years ago, I had a mystery snail in with some tetras (I think)... and they sucked his body out of his shell. :( It was quite traumatic.

I may try putting Speedy in the big tank and keep an eye on him... Thanks again!

i have about 10 apple snails, and tons of ramshorns and mts in my community tank. i've seen the plecos rasping on the apple snails' shells, and my loaches take are of the baby snails, but i've never seen my cherry barbs or praecox rainbows go after them (or any of my other fish for that matter)

hth

It is quite normal for plecos to rasp on a snails shell. There are microscopic algae treats lying on them. The pleco is not really trying to harm the snail in any way.

I have apples and plecos and ramshorns and plecos together and I kinda like watching the snails stop walking when the plecos come over to "clean" their shells. :D

Oh, the fish won't bother the snail at all.

Thanks, everybody for the reassurance! I may even get some more buddies for Speedy and plop 'em all in the big tank. Then the 10g tank will be "bachelor pad" for a lucky betta. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom