java loach and MTS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ribboneel33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two java loaches and two german blue rams. I plan on slowly changing the substrate to sand and was planning on getting a Malaysian trumpet snail. Will any of my current fish try to consume it?

I have two java loaches and two german blue rams. I plan on slowly changing the substrate to sand and was planning on getting a Malaysian trumpet snail. Will any of my current fish try to consume it?

You should be safe. But IMO, I hate mts with a passion. If given the chance, the population will explode!

Well I plan on getting more non java loaches beforehand so that they can eat some of the babies to slow down the population growth

These loaches are not big enough to eat snails, sorry. If you are getting the mts to sift through the sand, there are other snail species that can't breed in freshwater and will do the job as well.

Java loaches aka, kuhli loaches don't eat snails. Malaysian Trumpet Snails only breed out of control when excess food is available. This is a good article about them... Malaysian Trumpet Snails in a Planted Tank : Yamato Green. And I have personally seen them eat on hair algae before and often find them eating bio-film as well. I have them in all my tanks even in our nano tanks and the only tank that has a larger population is the 220g planted tank in which there is a wide range of food available. They also are in all my canister filters eating detris on the sponges. Since I only see them at night for the most part I really don't mind them and feel they provide a good service but it is a personal choice and it seems people either love them or hate them.

Could their possibly be a shimp alternative or another non-asexual invert? I also dont care for snails. Just seemed like the best bet

Rams may harass shrimp. Some do and some don't. My rams will go after and eat small/baby shrimplets. Are you wanting something for algae, cleanup crew, or ???

Rams may harass shrimp. Some do and some don't. My rams will go after and eat small/baby shrimplets. Are you wanting something for algae, cleanup crew, or ???
Basically just something to stir up sand and clean it a little. And a snail seems the best bet right now. also, algae refuses to grow in my tank

Watch if you add a long antenna snails like mystery or ramshorn watch to be sure the rams don't pick at the antenna and keep the snails from coming out of their shells and eating. Rams often time think snail antenna are worms... one of my rams used to suck in my angels long feelers and try eating them like worms until they found those worms were attached to a big fish that chased them.

Watch if you add a long antenna snails like mystery or ramshorn watch to be sure the rams don't pick at the antenna and keep the snails from coming out of their shells and eating. Rams often time think snail antenna are worms... one of my rams used to suck in my angels long feelers and try eating them like worms until they found those worms were attached to a big fish that chased them.
so far the only thing that they harass is my betta in the other tank

Back
Top Bottom