Java moss and cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying some java moss for my 12 gallon tank.
inhabitants are pygmy cories, platies and harlequin rasboras.

Main question is will the cories like it? Cos i know they like to sit on the bottom...

thanks

It will trap some goodies for them for the most part but they shouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. Should put a whole lot of java on a log though.

As long as you don't cover the whole bottom of the tank with moss then you will be fine. Cories do like an open space at the bottom to dig around in the substrate.

I have java moss attached to driftwood and my cories like sitting under it, but never on the moss. They'll occasionally sit on the wood too, but I don't think they like the moss very much. They do love digging around in the sand though.

My albinos would actually sleep on my java moss occasionally. I would wake up and see one - what looked to be stuck in the moss - just laying there. If I walked closer he would wake up and wiggle his way back down to the gravel. I caught the same one doing this numerous times. Reminded me of the soap dish betta bed.

My cories liked to hide in there... I have 5 cories and only seen 3 for the past three months.... Then I decided to clean up the java moss and was surprised to find out I still had 5 cories!

cool - think i'm going to go for it!
now to find a shop near me with decent plants... quite tricky, keep being sold non aquatic plants only to have them die/rot!!

Only thing to keep in mind is that java moss (any moss really) is a great waste catcher. The buildup of detritus can be bad for water parameters, so don't let it get too much out of hand. I normally let mine get out of control and then when I'm ready to prune I always have my siphon ready to do a water change immediately after moving the moss.

The cories will love it.

Back
Top Bottom