Jenynsia Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone here done a biotope on Jenynsia sp. fish? I set up a biotope for Jenynsia onca a while ago. It is a 'true' biotope as close as I can get it. (it only includes fish, plants and snails from Rio Uruguay.) Everything except the amazon swords is on a website called Imperial Tropicals. (imperialtropicals.com). I chose a 26ish tank as I can't find much information on how big the fish get. They seem to be doing fine, except for a slight fungus problem on the first day. I will post some pictures as soon as I can!

You could email your supplier.

We recently went to the fish room of a breeder of these fish and learned about their interesting name and why they are called that.

Greg Sage is the keeper and his business is Select Aquatics. He has some good info on these fish, (link below). These fish seemed very active and if your tank is a 26G you may need to make it a larger place for them to swim. (He suggests a 29, Long I am guessing) They were pretty big and were swimming a lot, says around 2.5-3 inches, maybe not including the tail.
Jenynsia lineata - One Sided Livebearer - Livebearers

They are pretty fish. Hope you get the pics up soon!

This is a slightly different species, Jenynsia onca. There isn't much info on the internet as to how big they get. Thanks for the suggestion on emailing my supplier, but the fish seem to have completely recovered by now. I don't think I'll be able to put them in a larger tank anytime soon, unfortunately.

Really cool! I absolutely love rare livebearers, but I haven't kept very many yet . I would love to see pictures of your tank and fish if you don't mind. I hope to get around to keeping these guys someday!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, you are correct - different specie of the genus, oops, my mistake, similar but not the same. They are pretty fish! I really enjoyed watching their relatives when I saw them. :)

Can't wait to see your pics!

They really are beautiful fish. My one male (the smallest) is a goofball. Using similar (size-wise) species on aqadvisor, my tank is fully stocked. I will try to get the pictures up in the next couple days.

They are pretty. I imagine the care and environment would be the same as their cousins. They look very close to the same!!!

Keep working on getting a great pic. I had the same problem trying for pics of my new Guppies, and after about 50 pics and a different day, I got a 2 good ones, lol!

Pretty much the same... I looked at some Jenynsia Lineata articles when I couldn't find anything on jenynsia onca on the internet. I will definitely keep taking pictures!

Back
Top Bottom