Jordan's Dwarf Puffer tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting to get close to putting fish in my 10 gallon. :) I'm planning on heavily planting it. Stock will be 2 dwarf puffer fish.

Can I put any kind of cleaning crew in the tank with them?

I'm starting to get close to putting fish in my 10 gallon. :) I'm planning on heavily planting it. Stock will be 2 dwarf puffer fish.

Can I put any kind of cleaning crew in the tank with them?

Ghost shrimp and snails though eventually they will be eaten. A dwarf cory might work....

My girlfriend keeps a few otos with them and they don't bother them.

Thanks for the advice guys! What if I were to use a 29 gallon instead of a 10? What could I do then?

Minimum of 5 gallons per oto- but I'd be worried about feeding, so in a way you are correct.

Ottos are schoolers. You need a minimum of 3. Also they are difficult to feed and sometimes eat little more than biofilm. A 10 wont have much of that.

Do you think Cory cats would work instead of otos?

Do you think Cory cats would work instead of otos?

Cories may get along withbthe dp but may not. I woukd trybit. Just have lots of ground cover. Ottos and cories are completely different cleaners though. Ottos eat algae and cories are bottom cleaners.

Cories may get along withbthe dp but may not. I woukd trybit. Just have lots of ground cover. Ottos and cories are completely different cleaners though. Ottos eat algae and cories are bottom cleaners.

Right. I like that about cories. I will put the tank together and post a picture so maybe I can get some suggestions on how to make it better. I'm going to try cories. It's a 29 tall, so i'm hoping that'll give enough space. Thinking 2 dwarf puffers and 4-6 cories?

I'm also going to add the Cory cats very first so maybe the puffers won't be territorial yet.

Otos are typically the only fish that dps will tolerate so I'd be very careful with any cories (at least be ready to rehome).

Otos are typically the only fish that dps will tolerate so I'd be very careful with any cories (at least be ready to rehome).

I will have a tank on hand to move the cories into. Maybe I just won't have tank mates and just put 2 dps in the 10 g. They'd be happier without tank mates anyway, right?

I will have a tank on hand to move the cories into. Maybe I just won't have tank mates and just put 2 dps in the 10 g. They'd be happier without tank mates anyway, right?

Not neccesarily.

Hmm. Okay. Well, thank you for all of the great advice! I'm not going to rush into anything. But I will let you know when I get things going. :)

From what I understand dps are perfectly happy in a species-only tank or even solo. Jmay, I'd recommend checking out the forums on dwarfpuffers.com. Lots of great info from experienced puffer keepers.

From what I understand dps are perfectly happy in a species-only tank or even solo. Jmay, I'd recommend checking out the forums on dwarfpuffers.com. Lots of great info from experienced puffer keepers.

I will do that. Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom