juli corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
my corys seem to be loosing their color and one evern seems like it's lost some of it's spots? could there be a cause? are my eyes just tricking me?

ammonia-0
nitrites and nitrates i have no idea. i am cycling doing a 50% water change a day. and i cant get a test kit until monday (i only have an ammonia tester).

i have api ammonia and im planning on either getting the api master (if i can find it) or just and api nitrite and nitrate test considering i already have the api ammonia and ph

Cool. Fish in cycle I'm guessing? Keep up the changes... But bump it up to two 50%'s a day. Chances are your nitrite spike is happening if you're still cycling.

yup.that's what i was thinking and im currently doing 50%, but could this be causing the color change? i've never heard of them changing to be camoflauge, but i mean they kinda look like my sand.

allaboutfish said:
yup.that's what i was thinking and im currently doing 50%, but could this be causing the color change? i've never heard of them changing to be camoflauge, but i mean they kinda look like my sand.

Yeah, the more stressed they are, the paler they get. A neon I had quarantined turned almost transparent...but brightened right up when he went back to the main tank.

Keep the water as pristine as possible (many, many pwc's) until the cycle is complete and they don't have to deal with dangerous and stressful water parameters. I don't think corys are particularly hardy, and they wont do well at all during a fish in cycle. No fish does well during a cycle...but I'm pretty sure corys are more sensitive than others.

There's no such thing as too many pwc's as long as you dechlorinate and temp match. You might want to look into buying a Python to make it easier on you...the water changing device, not the snake, lol.

ok i didnt know anything about fishless cycling before i got them... ugh i hope they dont die. they actually have spawned in the 2 weeks i've had them and layed eggs

Sounds like a nitrite spike definitely. Lots of water changes... Two 50%'s a day at least.

allaboutfish said:
ok i didnt know anything about fishless cycling before i got them... ugh i hope they dont die. they actually have spawned in the 2 weeks i've had them and layed eggs

Pwc's my friend. It's the only option to keep the fish swimming and not floating. Never let the ammo get above .25. Try desperately to find seeding material that can help you along. The link in my signature is about fishless cycling...but it'll give you some info about seeding and filtration. Check it out.

i've actually read it bc im fishless cycling my 29 gallonand i think im about to do another 50% water change today so 2 50% a day until i can get a test kit.

allaboutfish said:
oh and im done with ammonia it's been 0 for 3 days now i think

Definitely sounds like the nitrite spike... Lots o water changes. Two 50's a day is the minimum... Three would be great.

Agreed, the spike in nitrites or ammonia could fade the color of some fish as a result of stress.

Also just to make another point to these corys, They normally present a slight red or orange color in their chicks, close to the gills.

Back
Top Bottom