Jump starting cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xCitrol

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question on jump starting my cycle for my new 37gal tank. If I take my current inhabitants from my 5gal hook up my filter from there on the new tank + my new canister filter and add some of my gravel will I be able to successfully seed the new filter while keeping up with my daily pwc's?

The 5g is cycled, correct? Yes, you should be able jumpstart your new tanks cycle by adding the old filter & gravel. You honestly should not have to do daily pwcs as long as you are transferring the fish to the new tank & not adding anyone new. Check your levels for a week to make sure they are staying stable before adding anyone new (add new stock slowly) & then continue to monitor everything daily & do pwcs if you see any spikes. You will need to run both filters together for a couple of weeks to seed the new filter. Good luck! :)

Ya was planning on just keeping what I have in my 5gal in the new tank for about a month till the new filter gets seeded then add 2-3 fish a week afterwards and monitoring my parameters. Thanks for the reply.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom