jungle ick tank buddy tablets.. turned water blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aznxcore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi again!

The other week, one of my neon tetras had the "ick", and so I used the jungle ick clear tank buddy tablets. The tetra doesn't have the ick anymore, but now my tank water is tinted blue.

How do I rid of the color? i think I should just do water changes, but exactly how much water do I change? and what is the process?

Thank you for any help!

No I'm not running carbon in my filter. I have a sponge filter. I just did a 40% water change.

Thanks!

Ick meds contains a dye (melachite blue usually, but is victoria green in Ick Clear) + formalin. The dye is active against some parasites, but it will turn your water & tank blue!

You can get rid of the blue in the water by doing pwc's. If you do 4 to 5 50% pwc, you would have diluted the dye to less than 5% of original concentration & the water would be basically clear. <To avoid stressing the fish, you would do the pwc's daily ... not all at once!>

The dye will also stain the glass & the silicone seals. You can wipe the glass clean with a sponge, but the silicone will be blue forever. <My 10 gal has blue seams with just 1 treatment of Ick-Clear.> The only way to get rid of the blue silicone is to remove it & reseal the tank. :(

The blue dye is also broken down by light, so it will slowly fade under strong light. You can also pull out the meds with some fresh carbon. But doing pwc's is the simplest.

Back
Top Bottom