junior heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just at Walmart and found a Junior Heater brand aquarium heater for 2-5 gallon tanks on sale for $5.00, so I picked one up. My question is this.....how do you go about putting a heater in a tank with a fish already in it? This is for my small 2 gallon tank that my betta is in now, until my 10 gallon has finished cycling for him. Will it gradually heat up giving him time to adjust or do I take him out, heat up the tank and then float him in it for a time?

Put the heater in the tank, leave it be for 10mins, set the dial to desired temp., and plug it in :)

*Depending on the difference between your desired temp and the current temp., you may need to adjust the dial in small increments (2F +/-).

I guess that is where my problem is....there is no dial on this. On the side of the box it says it is designed as a preset tank warmer and will assist in controlling the water temp in aquariums between 2-5 gallons in size. I just don't want it to heat up too quickly for him. Should I just plug it in and sit and watch the thermometer?

Does it say what it is preset for? I would put it in and watch, just be sure you will be around before turning it on.

As a failsafe, fill a separate container with water and add the heater to see how it "behaves."

Does it say what it is preset for? I would put it in and watch, just be sure you will be around before turning it on.

It does not say what it is preset to. It does have a caution that if the water temp exceeds 82 degrees to unplug it.....

Most presets are at 78 degrees. What does your tank temperature hover at?

Well, heck, my 2 gallon tank usually stays about 76-78 anyway.....the tank he is going to move to I was thinking of setting on about 80 though.

As a failsafe, fill a separate container with water and add the heater to see how it "behaves."

I don't have another thermometer to stick to another container. I use the side stick thermometers and I don't have a spare.

I am also worried about the possibilty of electrocuting him....who knows faulty equipment, you never know. If I take him out before putting the heater in, should I float him in a bag to get used to the new temp once I know it is safe and isn't going to electrocute him?

I have a 7.5 watt Hydor heater that I use when my fish are in a kritter keeper. I have only used it so far when I moved last year - I got the new tank ready at the new house and brought the betta over in a little 1 gallon critter keeper. When we got to the new house (10 minutes away) I plugged in this heater. He stayed in the critter keeper overnight and part of the next day with the Hydor heater in the critter keeper until his new tank was all set up.

Just put your heater in the tank or bowl that the betta is already in. I really would recommend a thermometer in th water to monitor the temperature. My temp. got up to 84 once. I unplugged it a few times and then plugged it back in as the temperature dropped a bit. It was a good temporary heater in my situation but I don't see how you could rely on this heater in the long run. Don't set the tank/bowl under any type of light, especially incandescent - that will really make the temperature get too hot.

Personally I don't like messing with the preset heaters. They tend to be much more prone to problems from what I've heard.

If you are going to use it, I'd definately place it in a separate container to test then add to the aquarium once you've verified it's functioning properly. You can always snitch the thermometer from the tank while you're testing the heater.

Back
Top Bottom