Just aquired a 80 Gallon Tank Any ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrgolfball

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just aquired a 118 gallon tank with a large crack in it, I am going to cut it down to approx 80 gallons and reseal it. As I am still new to this hobby I am not sure on how to filter this large beast. I was think ing of a hang on the back good for 100 gallon tanks, or maybe even to good for 50 gallon tanks, is there anything wrong with this idea, also heaters, how big and how many. The tank dimensions are 48 x 20 deep x 18 wide... Lighting and all that kind of stuff...... Any suggestions are greatly apprciated.

Mike

I would go with a couple of canisters for filtration. You can hide them under the tank, and they tend to be not as loud as hobs.

I have a canister filter for my 75gal and I love it.. its so quiet. I hooked up an HOB for extra filtration once (not that I needed it, I was having an algea bloom and thought it could help) but it was SO LOUD

It depends on what you want to keep in the tank..
messy fish will need more cycles per hour..
plants will need alot more light...
HOB filters are not bad.. it just depends on the unit.. Aqua Clear makes the most versital and quiet unit in my opinion.. there largest filter cycles 500 gallons per hour.. not bad in my opinion..
48 inches is a easy length to get lights for.. NO bulbs are made in 48" lengths.. though you would need to overdrive NO bulbs to get enough light for plants.. CF is an option and MH to a lesser extent.. I would personally overdrive 1 or 2 48 inch bulbs for plants.. its a DIY project though.. there is a link in the plant area were a member has ODNO a 29 gallon.. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=54881 the 48" bulbs would need there own ballast.. 1 each.. he is using 1 by fooling the ballast that it is firing 1 48" bulb by jumping together 2 24" bulbs..
as far as canister filters go you can buy one or DIY one of those as well.. I like fluvals personally.. and I found a good DIY one on another forum..
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52761&highlight=canister+filter
minimum you are going to need 400 gallons per hour from your filter.. In a tank with alot of messy fish I would double that to 800 gph..
as far as heaters go I would get two 200 watt heaters or a 500 watt.. two being better just in case one goes bad

On top of everything Im posting Im wondering why you dont just replace the broken pain of glass and keep it as a 118 gallon? if you did your equipment would need to be a little bigger but a bigger tank is better as far as keeping things in balance.. the bigger the tank the bigger the mistakes can be made with less consequence..

The reason I don;t make it a 118, is the cost of the 1/2" glass, the one sheet is over $250.00, and to repair it I can do it for approx $50.00.

mrgolfball said:
The reason I don;t make it a 118, is the cost of the 1/2" glass, the one sheet is over $250.00, and to repair it I can do it for approx $50.00.

Great reason! Stick with your plan then.. 1/2 inch glass is expensive.. I just didnt know it was that much 8O ouch!

I hope the above information was helpfull by the way..

The information was fantastic, I looked into building my own filter and think I might try it... Thanks again, I will let you know of the progress

I found a filter on Ebay it is an Eheim 2226, that is good fro 100 gallon tanks, I think I may bid on it, any thoughts??

make sure you know how much the 2226 is on like BigAls.com before you bid on e-bay.. You might end up spending more on e-bay..ACK!
nevermind that is one of the old perfesonal models.. A guy on the Child-forum told me in chat he picked one up at a garage sale for 50 bucks.. It might be him trying to pull a profit! he was talking about getting rid of it because he didnt like the green hoses..LOL

I personaly wouldnt pay more than 80 bucks with shipping for it if it were me.. I would just get a new fluval 404 instead.. from the looks of it you might be able to get it for less then 80.. its at 66+about 10s/h right now.. with 5 hours left! Id wait untill theres about 20 min left and bid around $68-69 tops..

well it was a battle to the end, but I did get the filter, I checked on big als and at the local big als stoer here in calgary, I couldn't get anything for less than $260.00 canadian, I ended up getting this one for $130.00 canadian, so all in all a good price in my books. Is there any thing I should know about maintaining a filter like this...
Now that I am getting closer to getting this tank up and running, do you have any suggestions for what to stock it with? I would like to have some larger fish but not sure what I can put inthere that will get along with each other?

Project finished

Well I finally got my tank Finished and now colonized. I have several fish in it and more on the way. I am quite proud of this project as I have completeed everything from scrathc, From building the stand to re-assembling the tank after being completely tajken apart as well as making the lighted hood. I will include a couple of photos if I can figure out how...

Pictures...I hope?

I am not to sure how to post pictures. So I hope this works

Attachments

• img_3339-small.jpg
    img_3339-small.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 19
  • img_3336-small.jpg
    img_3336-small.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom