Just bought a used light.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
For $25, I just picked up a 48" light, thought maybe it was a t5? Not really sure though, but one set of lights has 12000k daylight, the other has Actinic written on it. The fixture also has 4 sets of little blue leds for nightlight but 2 sets are burned up it looks like. What kind of light is this?

Also, there is not a brand name anywhere on the thing, I even took it all apart. Must be a generic thing, OK with me though it works. Reason I am looking is the stand doesn't appear to have all the pieces to mount it to the tank. I just bought an Aqueon Versatop from Petsmart and if I can get it to mount right, can I just set it right on the cover without worrying about it melting? The cover is plastic, maybe lexan or acrylic??

img_2676593_0_d40716098caac8e5b907917881ce4822.jpg

Heres the light set up. Its super bright, I actually got to looking and the Aqueon top is glass, and the light is actually metal surround. I took it apart, looked like there was salt all over it, must have been on a coral tank, and I am guessing that is what this light is for, but will it help grow plants?

I can not help with a light/brand ID but I would look into replacing the bulbs with a plant suitable spectrum of light. The 12k and actinic bulbs are overkill on fw planted tank and will be better suited to growing algae (or sw tank). I would not personally set this light right on plastic lid as you will be asking for trouble. Hopefully, some other members can provide some more input here!

I can not help with a light/brand ID but I would look into replacing the bulbs with a plant suitable spectrum of light. The 12k and actinic bulbs are overkill on fw planted tank and will be better suited to growing algae (or sw tank). I would not personally set this light right on plastic lid as you will be asking for trouble. Hopefully, some other members can provide some more input here!

I would have to agree. These bulbs are meant for saltwater. Its sounds like its a T5 and those get warm. You might try putting something under the ends of the light to lift it off the glass a bit for air circulation. Good buy for sure though! Can you suspend it from the ceiling?

As of right now its sitting on top of the tank, has a tiny bit of room, I am not going to hang it from the ceiling, but have been looking into a homemade hanging system. But I need to move the tank out to drill into the back of the stand. So until I go to switch my substrate to sand and change the décor inside(week or two) it will have to do. Also, for light since this is obviously to much for live plants, what spectrum should I go with?

You should be able to buy 'legs' for it, they slide in at the end of the light fixture, and the 'feet" sit on the rim of the tank.

The t5s (whether they are normal or high output) should be fine over a glass top. Yes they will get a bit warm.
Look for bulbs in the 6700k range. Unless the existing bulbs specify high output, in guessing they they are normal output bulbs.

You should be able to buy 'legs' for it, they slide in at the end of the light fixture, and the 'feet" sit on the rim of the tank.

I was looking but couldn't find anything that I think would work.

Also, Should I replace all 4 bulbs with 6700k? These, I have found, are power compact bulbs. About 22" long, with 4 pins that go straight across. Right now there is a set of 12000k and a set of Actinic.....so I just replace them all directly?

I was looking but couldn't find anything that I think would work.

Also, Should I replace all 4 bulbs with 6700k? These, I have found, are power compact bulbs. About 22" long, with 4 pins that go straight across. Right now there is a set of 12000k and a set of Actinic.....so I just replace them all directly?

Could you post a pic of the bulbs including the ends?
Regardless of the bulb type you could replace them all if you have the new bulbs or swap them out incrementally.
And they all do not have to be 6700k. You could do two 6700k and two other "colors". Generally dual bulb t5 setups for planted FW include a 6700k bulb and a rosette bulb to balance out the color (for the appearance).

Any combination of 10000K, 6700K, and 4000K-ish (the red ones) will be appropriate for FW. You're basically adjusting it for your personal taste at that point, not so much for how well it grows plants.

Could you post a pic of the bulbs including the ends?
Regardless of the bulb type you could replace them all if you have the new bulbs or swap them out incrementally.
And they all do not have to be 6700k. You could do two 6700k and two other "colors". Generally dual bulb t5 setups for planted FW include a 6700k bulb and a rosette bulb to balance out the color (for the appearance).

Heres a pic, they go half way down, 2 bulbs on each end.
img_2677516_0_65d778a3a4c8b3d66eb578f0fc1fdc69.jpg

thanks, I'll measure it after it cools down, but I'm guessing 21 22" since its a 48" fixture

Back
Top Bottom