Just bought Colombian Shark Cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just purchased 3 Colombian Shark Cats. I have always been fond of them. I wanted some ever since I was a kid but never purchased them because my tanks were always dedicate to something else.

They are currently in a 75 gallon fresh water tank. I have mollies that keep having babies and I have about 75 babies in the tank and nobody was eating them, including my 6" Gourami. I thought it would be nice to have afew babies but I am now over run. So I figured time to finally get some Colombian Sharks I figure they will do the trick.

When they get some more size to them I plan to move them to a 150 Gallon Brackish. I am toying with the idea of having a large Brackish tank but not sure what else can go with full grown cats or if I should take it to full marine and add a Miniatus Grouper, Picasso and/or Niger triggers.

in a year they will outgrow the 75. within 3 years if the 150 is a 6' tank they will outgrow it. I had one in my 180 gallon tank when it got around 12" I found someone to take it that has a 10' tank. I could have kept it but it was fighting with my Malawi cichlids and I was afraid they was going to kill it eventually

I plan the upgrade by the end of the year. I am buying a new house and waiting for the move so I don't have to move the tank twice.

If the fish 12"-14" and the fish is in a 6' tank that is 6 times the length of the body. That gives plenty of room for swimming. Sounds like your was in FW as full adult I thought they had to be in SW by then?

I plan the upgrade by the end of the year. I am buying a new house and waiting for the move so I don't have to move the tank twice.

If the fish 12"-14" and the fish is in a 6' tank that is 6 times the length of the body. That gives plenty of room for swimming. Sounds like your was in FW as full adult I thought they had to be in SW by then?

No they don't have to be in brackish or salt. They do prefer it and I have heard they get a few problems being in fresh. Never seen any problems with mine. 3 seems like a lot for that tank size with their swimming patterns. Mine was always swimming and circling around the tank to the point I thought he needed more room.

No they don't have to be in brackish or salt. They do prefer it and I have heard they get a few problems being in fresh. Never seen any problems with mine. 3 seems like a lot for that tank size with their swimming patterns. Mine was always swimming and circling around the tank to the point I thought he needed more room.

That's good to know. I was a little worried about how long I was going to be keeping them in FW and that is only about 6 months so they should be fine for now then.

I love there swimming patterns they school together and look like mini sharks so I don't want to constrict them. I don't plan to have much in the tank with them. I had triggers for years and I really enjoy them so I figure 1 or 2 triggers shouldn't have the 150 over crowded. If I have to step up beyond the 150 I will decide what to do then.

I had a Picasso they have the best personality. My wife loved mine also. I had to tear mine down on a move. My job was a casualty of the 2008 crash :( . So now I am settled again and hoping to get back into bigger tanks again soon.

Back
Top Bottom