Just Bought Tank Off Craigslist, Can Anyone Assure MeTthat it is In FACT an Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsamrlx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The guy assured me that it is a fish tank:ermm:, that it was used for fish for a long time, but he did not seem that confident and neither am I. It's about 40-45 gallons (long). The thickness of the glass measures about 1/4 an inch. (seems thin but I'm hoping to hear otherwise!) I currently have it filled to the top sitting outside, so far so good. And if this is unfortunately a terrarium is there anything I can do to make it a safe aquarium? Here are some pictures.doit3.jpg

do it 2.jpg

doit1.jpg

do it.jpg

The glass is thicker than it would be if it were not designed to hold water. It would also have come with a sticker warning against it. Are there any stickers on the bottom at all, or on the bottom of the glass there on the brace? The bracing also doesn't look like those I've seen for terrestrial creatures.

More pictures incase those weren't enough lol

I'm desperate to hear that it IS an aquarium, but am prepared to be let down.

photo-6.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-7.jpg

mfdrookie516

The glass is thicker than it would be if it were not designed to hold water. It would also have come with a sticker warning against it. Are there any stickers on the bottom at all, or on the bottom of the glass there on the brace? The bracing also doesn't look like those I've seen for terrestrial creatures.

There was just a sticker that says not to try to drill through the bottom of the glass (something to do with the type of glass i think i forget the reason) and then there was a torn something that I can only see "assembled by"

Looks like an aquarium to me... it's holding water, and I don't see any visible bow in the glass that wouldn't be common on any aquarium of that size. I don't want to say it's 100% an aqaurium, then it bust open... but it sure looks like one to me

Looks like an aquarium to me, glass is thick enough, holding water, and mf says it so must be so lol. If you're really worried let the water sit in it for a week, just to be safe.

Have read the word "bow" a few times now but not really sure what that means?

Take a yardstick and sit it edge wise along the long side of the tank... see if it sits pretty flat, or if the middle sticks out further. A little bowing is common, but you don't want a tremendous amount.

Bow basically means the glass is giving that it's not flat anymore. If you took a straight edge and put it against the front of a tank that is bowing, you could rock it back and forth because the center sticks out farther than the sides.

"bow" meaning that glass curves out due to pressure from the water and weight. It causes the tank glass to bend and eventually bust. The tank looks like a common 55g tank to me. Can you take measurements of the tank?

If I remember correctly its about 48x12 and the height is between 17-20. And thank you for the advice about the bowing, I will check in the morning. You guys are great!

I'll toss in my two bits.

The no drilling thing usually means it's tempered glass. I'd take that as a good sign; tempered glass is stronger which allows an aquarium builder to use thinner glass.

The brace on the top looks like it's for an aquarium. It's really not needed unless the tank is meant to have water, but I'm not sure what terrestial tanks usually have.

If the tank is holding it's shape, and not it's leaking then you're probably good. I'd leave it outside for a day or two though just to be sure.

Last edited:
I assume by the top that I can use two small lids? Which I believe is a lot cheaper than one long one, can anyone tell me what exactly I measure to know what size lid to get? I am new to buying parts separately.

The lid will rest on the little ledge just below the top, so if you measure across the top from the inside edge (not counting the ledge) then you should have the right measurement for the lid.

By those measurements I'd say that's a 55g tank. I agree the brave shown looks like the one of an aquarium meant for fish and/or reptiles. I'd say you're in the clear but it wouldn't hurt to let it sit with water in it for a few days. Also, as he said above tempered glass is some of the strongest out there. I've seen a video of someone standing inside the tank that was raised by two small 2x4's. Amazing strength

I have been fixing Tanks for Years....you have an Aquarium. A 55 by the looks of it without you giving out the dimensions. Reptile and "critter Tanks are more like Breeder tanks, shorter in height as to allow for Fresh air. The Dead giveway is the Top and bottom Braces in the Frame.

I would consider a complete Reseal it it has not been in service for a while.

A leak test doesn't mean it might not seep in the future especially if you add Bubblers and or Powerhead etc.

I have an Old School 75 gallon with no braces but the Glass is an Inch thick.....can you say chiropractor?

I would say it is an aquar. It looks just like my 55gal it should have two lids and break outs on the lids for the filters do u have pics of lids.

I would consider a complete Reseal it it has not been in service for a while.

I myself have to disagree with that. As long as there are no visible flaws in the sealant why fix what's not broken? It can lead to alot more issues if it's not done right.

I myself have to disagree with that. As long as there are no visible flaws in the sealant why fix what's not broken? It can lead to alot more issues if it's not done right.

LOL you have probably not had a Tank go on you yet....It never happens at a "good Time"

Resealing Tanks are easy, just takes patience and time. Plenty of DIY's on You tube and plenty of Cheap tools at HD. I had a used tank, Leaked check for 24 hours, and 3 weeks later leaked on Super bowl Sunday and I am a Giants fan. Learn my lesson. Used Tanks at some point will need to be resealed. Easier to start a Reseal at the beginning. This way you know you are set.

Back
Top Bottom