Just found a baby fish in my tank! Thought i had all males!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
What? I'm litterally in shock!:eek: I thought i had all males in my tank. I'm new to the aquarium world and the little i know is just basics, nothing about pregnant fish or babies (or whatever they're called).

I don't know who's it is and what to do with it. I randomly saw it, it's been in a very good hiding space that's really dark and i can't get a good look at it--only a silhouette really.

The other thing that is scaring me is that i just put a fish down last night b/c he had a crooked spine that might have been TB. I thought my tank was/is sick with something. Now i find a baby fish, so someone was pregnant & are there more?

I tried to get a pic of it, but it's not very good & i can't figure out how to "paste the URL" from my computer. I guess i'm not so tech savvy either! ;)

Reagan

Last edited:
I have 2 neon tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 white skirted tetras, 1 creamsicle molly, 2 pot bellied mollies, 2 danios and 3 plats (1 mm and 1 red wag). 29 gallon tank. do i do anything special with a baby? or just let it keep hiding out? sounds like a dumb question, but how do i know who's it is? i also have a speckled molly in isolation right now b/c he was swimming vertical this morning w/his head down and spinning in circles. i'm so confused by these fish! :)

RaygunK said:
I have 2 neon tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 white skirted tetras, 1 creamsicle molly, 2 pot bellied mollies, 2 danios and 3 plats (1 mm and 1 red wag). 29 gallon tank. do i do anything special with a baby? or just let it keep hiding out? sounds like a dumb question, but how do i know who's it is? i also have a speckled molly in isolation right now b/c he was swimming vertical this morning w/his head down and spinning in circles. i'm so confused by these fish! :)

If you want to keep him you could put him in a breeder net or put him in a different tank so that no one will eat him. You can feed him crushed flakes, I'll need to see a pic to find out what it is. ;)

Ok here is the best pic I can get. He is the tiny thing above the white shell. Also, I only have a fish bowl, not another tank, but I would love to keep him! I've already lost him in the tank too (can't find him) How will I ever catch him to get him by himself? :/ Do you think there are more? Do fish just have 1 fish?

View attachment 85027

Put some java moss down in the tank for him to hide in. Then you don't have to worry about isolating him in a net or anything. He'll consume the micro nutrients in the plant life until he can eat crushed flakes.

Wow that is one blended in fish. I can't tell what kind it is, could be one of your livebearers. It could have been that the rest were eaten or in hiding.
This is what I do to catch the little buggers: take everything out or at least move them when your ready to net him, grab them with a net gently. That is what has worked for me. Secret is to go slow.
If you don't have a breeder net, cutting a milk carton in half and poking small holes in it(small enough to where it can't get out) and clip it to the side of the tank.

Another option is to put lots of ground and surface coverage for him. I usually have a few cheap plastic plants on hand and pop the leaves off and just let them float in the tank. Until you can get him anyways ;)

RaygunK said:
I'm now trying to figure out which fish is the female. Does this Molly look like a female to you? it's the one in isolation for the crazy behavior.
That one is a female. :)

Do you think it's her baby? I'm trying to construct a "baby gate" for the little guy now. Hopefully i can catch him and make him thrive!

Ok, so the other 3 mollys look alike (the undersides), so i have 1 female & 3 males. Will she just continually get pregnant if i leave her in there w/the others. I have no idea how breeding works with these things. I guess one more thing to research!

Yup that's a female, the thread in my signature has tons of info on livebearers and their pregnancies, having 3 male and 1 female s the opposite of what is needed, she may get so stressed by the constant. Chasing of the males, most try don't survive if not given a good place to hide so if you get more females it will probably reduce her stress

Petsmart told me all of their Molly's were males, b/c i went in asking about getting more females to offset my males. Figures. That's why i was so baffled when i saw a baby fish, or fry (?).

Yup they are called fry.
On the forum in my sig there are pics of male and female, when you go to pet stores I wouldn't take their advice, really I wouldn't. I am tempted to get a job there just to up my local ratings lol

Aww cute! Glad that lynda and bubbles were able to help. I actually had to do my work lol :p

Back
Top Bottom