Just found my pleco!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurotik

Aquarium Advice Freak
The craziest thing just happened to me a few minutes ago so I had to make a post about it!

So back in May of this year, I bought a tiny little Rubber Lipped Pleco for my 55 gallon tank, and a day after I added him to the tank my girlfriend and I headed to New York to visit some of her family. When I returned a week later, I could not find the little guy anywhere. I searched high and low for several days and had no luck at all, so I was convinced that he had either died and the other fish picked him apart or something killed him. I searched all over the tank to see if he somehow got out of the tank, but I saw nothing. My tank had no ammonia or nitrite spikes either which would have signaled that a fish had died earlier that week.

Fast forward from May 15th until about five minutes ago. I just got home, sat down and I looked over at my tank and I noticed a Pleco on the back of the glass in my tank and he looked much lighter in color than my Bristlenose Plecos that I have in there, and his fins were also short (my BN are long-finned). I quickly jumped up and went closer to my tank and discovered that it was my Rubber Lip! He is now pretty much fully grown and looks nice and healthy. I can't believe he is still alive and I have absolutely no idea where the heck he was hiding for all of these months, haha.

I'll try to get a picture of him as soon as he comes out from hiding behind some plants. I just couldn't help but make a post about this. My girlfriend and I are both so surprised to see him.

Congratulations! That is good news! It's kind of sad that you missed seeing him grow but it's great that he is still in the tank. He must have been hidden behind the plants pretty well not to be detected for three months!

Have you tried to feed him zucchini? I had a pitbull pleco and he would do a little happy dance when he got zucchini. It just might tempt your little guy out of hiding. I boiled the zucchini in tap water in the microwave just enough to soften it a bit and then pierced it through with fishing line. I left the fishing line long enough to come up over the rim of the tank so I could pull the remnants out the next day.

the saying goes the more you pay the less you see it lol good to hear its still alive.

I've been putting in blanched romaine lettuce from our garden every couple days and my BN Plecos seem to really enjoy it. So does my Rainbow Shark. I'm going to try zucchini tomorrow actually to see how he likes it.

my bala sharks and tinfoil barbs like pickles... wierd because they wont touch zucchini or even cucumbers, but with a nice big (thoroughly rinsed) pickle, its gone in a second... and they prefer goldfish flakes over bloodworms, tropical flakes, and anything else i throw at them

Back
Top Bottom