Just got a canister!! Now I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

My friend just have me a marineland canister that he used in his tank. I'm no sure what model it is but I want to add it to my 40 gallon tank. What do I need for it? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411309176.562864.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411309204.177871.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411309228.850565.jpg what do I need to know about it. There's a lot of algae build up in the tunes but I don't think that would really matter as it's kinda unpreventable

Lots of biomedia. All I run in my Fluvals. And pre filter sponge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Edit: you can change the tubes with a trip to your local do it yourself store.

Lots of biomedia. All I run in my Fluvals. And pre filter sponge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Edit: you can change the tubes with a trip to your local do it yourself store.

So u can just buy new tubes? Ok and they had a bag of the white circle thingies so all I need is a black bio media bag at the bottom and a white one at the top?

Yes, Home Depot has different size clear hose that will probably fit your filter. I've gotten tubes for my Fluvals.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, Home Depot has different size clear hose that will probably fit your filter. I've gotten tubes for my Fluvals.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Petsmart has the hoses too so I'll probably see if I could get them fr them. How about the media

The polishing pads can be ordered online. The carbon can be removed.

You will need a quality bio-media. I always recommend Seachem matrix, eheim Ehfisubstrat pro or Fluval BIo-Max. Don't use plastic bio-balls in a canister if you can avoid it, they don't have much surface area for a sealed system like a canister.

You will need a quality bio-media. I always recommend Seachem matrix, eheim Ehfisubstrat pro or Fluval BIo-Max. Don't use plastic bio-balls in a canister if you can avoid it, they don't have much surface area for a sealed system like a canister.

So instead of the white little circle things u recommended biomedia? Fluval or other brands can fit the marine land c360?

So instead of the white little circle things u recommended biomedia? Fluval or other brands can fit the marine land c360?
Do you have a good picture of the white circle things?

The problem is that white circle things are sometimes bio-media and sometimes mechanical. For them to be effective bio-media they should be very porous. If they are smooth than they are mechanical. But if they seem to be porous bio-media than yes they should work and I would not replace them.

How bout thus ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411316641.248734.jpg

Do you have a good picture of the white circle things?

The problem is that white circle things are sometimes bio-media and sometimes mechanical. For them to be effective bio-media they should be very porous. If they are smooth than they are mechanical. But if they seem to be porous bio-media than yes they should work and I would not replace them.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411316764.710219.jpgheres the pic of what they had. There water was crystal clear. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411316804.384224.jpg also should u remove these tubes?

Should I really remove those tubes I mean would the algae really make a difference? Also anyone else have anything about media and circle thingies

also should u remove these tubes?

Depending on the tank, it's likely new tubes will look like this in a month or four. Some people are lucky, most aren't.

You can also clean them, they make brushes you can run down them, or what some people do is set up a hygrogen peroxide solution and run it through the tubes (and pump) for a few hours. Do NOT do this with ANY media inside, and wash it thoroughly afterwards.

Home Depot (or similar) would let you change them out easily enough. Note one of the biggest pains depending on the setup is some tubing is very stiff, and the spray and intake are very light -- it's often hard to get them to sit in the right place as the tube moves. If you buy tubing, I would opt for the thinnest wall tube you can with the right inside diameter, assuming it fits over the connectors.

Back
Top Bottom