Just in Case You Didn't Know--Texas Holey Rocks!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
In case you guys weren't aware of these amazing rocks, check them out on Ebay!!!!!!!!! They are perfect for Cichlid Tanks and community tanks alike. I have blue crayfish in with mine, and they love the rocks.

The rocks are limestone from Texas. They will raise pH a little bit, but don't have nearly the alkaline effect that people usually accredit to them. The holes in them are perfect for territorial fish and a good refuge for timid fish. The look is unparalleled.

I got mine from diamond*a*ranch on Ebay--check out his rocks. The large rock in the picture cost me only $25.

Here's the picture so you can see what these rocks look like. This specimen is 24Lx11Hx8D. It looks *much* better in real life.

The large cave is about 2.5 inches in diameter on this side, 3'' on the other!

Aren't you supposed to NOT use limestone in an aquarium? I'm almost positive of this.

Never mind You can use it for cichlid tanks and tanks requiring a higher ph, just as long as the crayfish require a ph of 8+

Cdawson,

Actually, limestone is fine in tanks. It will raise pH and KH but, as I mentioned above, the effect of this is overrated. I had three rocks in my other tank, and the pH was not altered at all. Also, I've spoken with many ppl who have found the rocks to change pH very little. Most ppl agree that the best way to raise pH naturally is to put crushed coral in the filter, where the most water comes into contact with it.

Yeah. Limestone's usually pretty white. If you look in my gallery, you'll see that the limestone looks yellowish out of water, but in the water it looks bone white. Same sort of thing I've noticed with wood.

Back
Top Bottom