just looking for stocking suggestions please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!
I have a 20 long with 1 dwarf gourami and 5 corydoras aeneus. The tank has been up about a year and I think I'm ready to add some fish, but as I research compatibility I feel like I get conflicting information. I was thinking some sort of tetra (serpae or rummynose?) or danio (celestial pearl?) but wasn't sure if they were small enough to be eaten by my gourami? He's kind of a bully. No otos or guppies because I've had those before and want something different. I have a Marineland Penguin 150. Any suggestions or ideas would be awesome! Thanks guys! :D

I'm curious to I get conflicting information all the time I was thinking about adding a single female betts to my tank some people say you can't some people say you can and coincidently we have same filter but I have a 29 gal tank post a picture of your setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

CPDs are smaller and may be harassed by the gourami. Serpae can be nippy (from observations here). Rummy nose are nice. I like ember tetras; active, not too small, orange. Many other smaller tetras to choose from. I would do a single type in a group of 6-12.

I'm curious to I get conflicting information all the time I was thinking about adding a single female betts to my tank some people say you can't some people say you can and coincidently we have same filter but I have a 29 gal tank post a picture of your setup!

Hi!
Here's my set up now, although it changes a bit every time I vacuum. Nothing fancy. I used to have a 20 tall that I recently tore down. I heard they are the same footprint as the 29. So far I like the Penguin 150 ok. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446704275.230855.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446704289.933023.jpg

CPDs are smaller and may be harassed by the gourami. Serpae can be nippy (from observations here). Rummy nose are nice. I like ember tetras; active, not too small, orange. Many other smaller tetras to choose from. I would do a single type in a group of 6-12.

Thanks! I've heard the same about the serpae. I've been wanting some for awhile but may have to build a seperate tank for them. So you think tetras of some sort over danios?

If you don't mind the frenetic energy of zebra danios, they should be fine in a tank with that footprint. However, they can establish a pecking order and bully themselves and other fish in the tank.
I prefer tetras over danios. Wide variety of tetras in choose from.
Regarding the plants in your tank, I would try to keep the rhizomes above the sand. They can rot if left buried.

"Regarding the plants in your tank, I would try to keep the rhizomes above the sand. They can rot if left buried."

Yeah, I know...I just moved most of them the other day and was having a hard time getting them situated and I haven't had a chance to go back and fix them. Thanks though, I appreciate the help.

Black Harlequin Rasboras, I have a few in my 90ltr, they're pretty cool, always jousting with each other and enough attitude that they don't really care about the GBR that tries to bully everything in the tank

Oooohh, Black Harlequin Rasboras or cherry barbs? I hadn't thought of those! Thanks lunch and TheresaM! Could I get just 3? Or would I need like 6 of either of those? A splash of red would look good in the tank since most of my fish are albino. But I do love the rummynose tetra too! They look like race cars to me, lol. Decisions decisions!

Oooohh, Black Harlequin Rasboras or cherry barbs? I hadn't thought of those! Thanks lunch and TheresaM! Could I get just 3? Or would I need like 6 of either of those? A splash of red would look good in the tank since most of my fish are albino. But I do love the rummynose tetra too! They look like race cars to me, lol. Decisions decisions!

Cherries don't have to be kept in groups, a trio would be fine.

Pygmy spotted rasboras have some nice red coloring. Mine are with a female betta, no issues.

img_3302120_0_e38aa852b1fc8cac3e9d6204d6a70412.jpg

Hmmm, am I correct in thinking that the cherry barbs are a bit hardier and less sensitive than a rummynose or rasbora? And that my current tank set up might be better suited for cherry barbs?

Hmmm, am I correct in thinking that the cherry barbs are a bit hardier and less sensitive than a rummynose or rasbora? And that my current tank set up might be better suited for cherry barbs?

wow! beautiful!

Thanks!

I've heard that rummies can be sensitive, I haven't kept them in years. Never had an issue with an of the rasboras I've had. The cherries are definitely hardy and a 20l gives them good swimming space. With your current stock you could even do more than a trio if you're interested.

Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras have been super hardy fish for me. I consider them underrated and overlooked by many.

I haven't had Black Harlequins, just regular.

But they have thrived for me when I've kept them. Even trying to spawn.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446744772.601122.jpg

CPDs I prefer to keep with other Nano fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I've heard that rummies can be sensitive, I haven't kept them in years. Never had an issue with an of the rasboras I've had. The cherries are definitely hardy and a 20l gives them good swimming space. With your current stock you could even do more than a trio if you're interested.

Cool! I'm thinking the cherry barbs would be perfect! Thanks everyone for your help. And Theresa, nice chatting with you :) I haven't been on in awhile, I miss you guys. :)

Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras have been super hardy fish for me. I consider them underrated and overlooked by many.

I haven't had Black Harlequins, just regular.

But they have thrived for me when I've kept them. Even trying to spawn.
View attachment 280185

CPDs I prefer to keep with other Nano fish.

Thanks Coursair! I appreciate the help. Nice to hear from you. Hope all is well.:)

Cool! I'm thinking the cherry barbs would be perfect! Thanks everyone for your help. And Theresa, nice chatting with you :) I haven't been on in awhile, I miss you guys. :)

Glad you're back! Make sure you update when you get the new additions :fish2:

Thanks Coursair! I appreciate the help. Nice to hear from you. Hope all is well.:)

Life's been crazy...so mostly lurking. Dealing with house move and teething puppy. Hosting my club this month so I HAVE TO redo my tanks. I currently have ONE up and running. My original 10g Shrimp Jungle. It looks like crap currently. All Vals and Anubias in the wrong places...too much Duckweed. But hey, there are plants.

CPDs and a few other fish. Will restock once I reset and stabilize. Moved 1.5 weeks ago.

Still own Rimless 10g
5.5g w Aquasoil
5.5g bow front

New/used 55g is latest project.

Nice to "see" familiar and new faces.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446745895.165597.jpg ugh Duckweed !!! Need more Frogbit.

Back
Top Bottom