Just lost an entire tank of fish :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was told 2 buy two heaters at half the size needed, that way if one tries to cook the temp will go up and you can see what heater is on all the time

and if one fails one will at least provide heat while you replace one

That's a good idea to buy two heaters. I think I will do that next time.

I called the pet store where I bought the heater and told them what happened. I don't know if they will do anything, but at least they know. I still am not entirely sure if it was the heater's mechanical failure or my error- it just might have been that it was a new heater that ran hotter than the other types of heater's I was used to and I turned it up to high- still I can't think any heater that was not faulty would heat the water THAT much.

I am so sorry to hear about your fish - how shocking for you. Obviously you didn't do it on purpose, so don't be so hard on yourself. But, still, I know how awful it is to lose a lot of fish at once, so {{{}}} hugs!

I had something like this happen not too long ago. My heater was set to 76 but kept the temp. at 82 degrees. I was treating my fish for ICH so I needed the temp to get up to 86. I turned it up a notch to 78 and the temp. went up to 85/86 within a few hours and stayed that way for the rest of the day/night. But when I woke up, I noticed all of my fish were at the very top and breathing rapidly. It took me a few minutes before it hit me..."check the thermometer dummy"...sure enough the temperature went over 90+ degrees. Luckily no fish died from this. I unplugged the heater and replaced it with one I had laying around.

Which heater was it that malfunctioned for you?

Back
Top Bottom