Just Male Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've seen a couple of photos of tanks with just male guppies. I read that to keep peace it's a good idea to keep 2 females to every male. I wouldn't mind having females - I just don't really want to have alot of fry and be ovewhelmed, but it's not a problem overall. I just am wondering if it's safe to have a tank with just male guppies or will that just cause problems?

I read that to keep peace it's a good idea to keep 2 females to every male.

Having just male guppies will be fine. They are very peacful fish. The 2-1 ratio is mainly a set up for breeding, because if it's not done that way, you run the chance of having an overactive male whom chases the one female to death (sometimes literally).

Good luck.

I agree with turtles...I think the idea of keeping two females to every male only applies if you plan on having females at all. If you have males only and want to add females, then you should do it at the 2:1 ratio. Otherwise, I think its safe to say that you can have males only with no problems at all.

If you have a community tank, you may not be overwhelmed with fry, as they are usually consumed by the other tank mates; which has been my experience also. It wasn't untill I started QTing my females, before they deliver, that I started getting massive amounts of fry :roll: . The last time I had a Female that birthed in the community tank, I only noticed 2 fry that made it.

I also have only 2 male guppies in my 15 gallon tank and seem not to have any problems with them is was like you i did not want to be over run by fry so i asked like you did and dot the same reply as you have.

Back
Top Bottom