Just out of curiosity...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tanks are so bad that in each tank, there is ATLEAST two dead fish in each tank. The goldfish tanks have about 5 barely alive, the rest dead.

Another thing that's angers me is, that Walmart sells Violet Gobies, Pacu's, Dinosaur Eels, Ghost Knifes, and Oscars (just to name a few) and they DO NOT give accurate info on the individual fish. All of those fish grow to huge sizes.

I have thought about doing something, weather it be quit my job, and go work at Walmart JUST so I can take of those fish, or to volunteer to take care of the fish for free, or SOMETHING!

I enjoy going to Walmart and walk up to the fish tanks, and listen in on the Walmart employee doing his best to B.S. his way through another customer, and correct him in front of the customer (not that I know a lot, but I know more then a Walmart employee). :)

Mr. Limpet said:
A massive company like that probably has a lot of built up stock at cheapo farms and buy them for a penny a piece. Plants too for that matter.

Incorrect they buy them from a fish distributer just like petsmart, petco and your LFS there is no "corporate fish farm" not all Wal-marts are that bad some actually have associates/managers who know about fish ad their care. The biggest seller at Wal-marts are the feeder goldfish. I agree that keeping the GSP and lavender golby is fresh water is cruel. The only fish that I have ever seen at a Wal-mart that gets super huge are: oscars, common pleco and tinfoil barb.

Mogurako said:
Incorrect they buy them from a fish distributer just like petsmart, petco and your LFS there is no "corporate fish farm" not all Wal-marts are that bad some actually have associates/managers who know about fish ad their care. The biggest seller at Wal-marts are the feeder goldfish. I agree that keeping the GSP and lavender golby is fresh water is cruel. The only fish that I have ever seen at a Wal-mart that gets super huge are: oscars, common pleco and tinfoil barb.

How many Walmarts have you been to? Because the two Walmarts in Capser, Wy

1. Do not know anything bout fish, nor do they care to learn.

2. Not only sell Oscars, Common Pleco, and Tinfoil Barbs, but also sell Pacu's, Violet Gobies, Dinosuar Eels (I think its actual name is Grey Bichir), Ghost Knifes, ect.

I think in Georgia (u.s.) wal-mart isn't allowed to sell fish anymore. They don't meet conditions at inspection I guess.

Homedog98 said:
I think in Georgia (u.s.) wal-mart isn't allowed to sell fish anymore. They don't meet conditions at inspection I guess.

That isn't suprising, I think all Walmarts should stop trying to sell fish because they do a p*ss poor job.

GrimmGoby said:
How many Walmarts have you been to? Because the two Walmarts in Capser, Wy

1. Do not know anything bout fish, nor do they care to learn.

2. Not only sell Oscars, Common Pleco, and Tinfoil Barbs, but also sell Pacu's, Violet Gobies, Dinosuar Eels (I think its actual name is Grey Bichir), Ghost Knifes, ect.

I have worked in 5 and been to more than that. Knowing and learning all comes down the management support and if you have a strong pets manager. Forgot about the Bichirs, but what the Wal-mart carries differs from store to store because each one uses different local distributors, I know personally I wouldn't order ghost knifes, pacus for my store. I am working on not carrying anything to extreme.

I am not condemning or condoning what Wal-mart or for that matter Petsmart, Petco do. I am just letting you know my experience on the subject .

And they will stop selling them if people stop trying to rescue fish and boycott them instead. Enough complaints and lack of sales will drive them to change things. Its already worked in a few places. Besides, as a hobbyist, my money is better invested with those that love aquaria as I do.

jetajockey said:
And they will stop selling them if people stop trying to rescue fish and boycott them instead. Enough complaints and lack of sales will drive them to change things. Its already worked in a few places. Besides, as a hobbyist, my money is better invested with those that love aquaria as I do.

Exactly no need to get angry and get all heated just simply stop buying them. The company as a whole has started to trend towards not carrying fish. New stores that are being built don't have tanks in them.

Side note I only buy fish from a small LFS or online breeders who take good care of their stock. Eventually the big chain stores will catch on and not sell live fish or start taking better care of them.

GrimmGoby said:
That isn't suprising, I think all Walmarts should stop trying to sell fish because they do a p*ss poor job.

Ya... I've been to 4 in Georgia... They still have supplies, and I think one had fish when I was really little... But they soon Afterwords took out the tanks. Probably a good thing honestly. IMO, fish should be taken out of all chain stores, and left to privately owned stores that focus on the fishes' actual needs. The chain stores can try, and some can succeed, but theres just too much pressure to sell in those situations, and not enough pressure to care.

Homedog98 said:
IMO, fish should be taken out of all chain stores, and left to privately owned stores that focus on the fishes' actual needs. The chain stores can try, and some can succeed, but theres just too much pressure to sell in those situations, and not enough pressure to care.

Well said homedog

Mogurako said:
Well said homedog

Thank you! (ah, much better lol.) I've dealt with petsmart's fish for years... And I'm sick of it, and that's pretty much how it works. "Fish don't make noises when in pain, fish don't show pain, fish are good at adapting, so let's just shove them down to the bottom of the totem pole to rake in more $ and hope no one figures it out." seems to be the average chain mindset.

Mogurako said:

I have no idea how they buy, but rest assured they don't pay those kinds of prices. Being the biggest retailer in the world, they makes deals no other company can. They force some product suppliers to change product packaging if it's gonna hit their shelves, ie Altoids with the devil horned woman was made for them without the horns (I worked for the ad firm that handled Altoids, it was a running joke in the creative dept for some time lol). There's no way they pay what Petco does and would laugh at prices my LFS pays.

I'm sure there are some walmarts that have a good fish dept and have yet to see a post saying this wally world on Main street in Anytown USA has a good, or even decent fish dept.

Nothing personal, just not a fan of a company that treats fish, or any living being the way they do on the whole.

I had to step in yesterday when I was at petsmart and I heard a customer ask an employee what cichlid she could put in with hers that got bigger because hers always killed whatever she put in the tank. The employee told her to buy an oscar then I was like " uh what kind of cichlid is it?" turns out it was some kind of Acei hybrid in a 20 gal long *facepalm* I managed to talk her out of buying any fish and to just let the poor angry fish be.

Mogurako said:
I had to step in yesterday when I was at petsmart and I heard a customer ask an employee what cichlid she could put in with hers that got bigger because hers always killed whatever she put in the tank. The employee told her to buy an oscar then I was like " uh what kind of cichlid is it?" turns out it was some kind of Acei hybrid in a 20 gal long *facepalm* I managed to talk her out of buying any fish and to just let the poor angry fish be.

HAHA! Good for you +1 on that.

That's what I do for entertainment listen to petsmart employees. However some times it backfires and I hear something so retarded my head explodes.

Back
Top Bottom