Just out of curiosity...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, this thread is just something that I was wondering about. I do not mean to cause a heated contraversy.

How many people have bought fish at Walmart?

I bought a betta from my local Wally World when I saw he was living in such sad conditions. Surprisingly, he exceeded my expectations and lived to the ripe old age of 6.

What has been your experince?

I bought a pair of little Cory catfishes to put into my blue dart frog vavarium,..and two years later they're still alive and heathy.

The way I see it is if I buy fish from Walmart, I am putting them in better living conditons. The fish that I have rescued from Walmart are far better off IMO

I'll buy plants there, but never fish. Can't see letting wally make a profit off me on fish sales that'll just bring in more fish. My GF fell in love with GSP at Walmart, but they keep them in FW which is cruel IMO. We went and got our boys at a LFS that keeps them in BW.

Other than bettas at Petco, there's only 3 (M&P) LFS I'll buy fish from.

I was always scared to buy from there cause all the fish always looked sick and there was always dead ones in every tank

That is one thing I won't buy at my local Walmart, plants. I'm pretty sure aquatic plants shouldn't be black... idk, maybe that's just me?..

Of the three local Wally Worlds to me only 2 of them sell fish and every other tanks has at least 3-4 dead fish in it. The Betta's never look good, my wife bought one from them a few years ago poor little guy didn't make it to the next morning. She has past experience with Betta's.

GrimmGoby said:
That is one thing I won't buy at my local Walmart, plants. I'm pretty sure aquatic plants shouldn't be black... idk, maybe that's just me?..

Surprisingly, the plants at mine look really good and unlike Petco most are aquatic lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
Surprisingly, the plants at mine look really good and unlike Petco most are aquatic lol.

Lol, I went to my Local Walmart, and I was asking about there plants, and the guy said "We charge $5.99 for our plants in the tank, but you would be better off going to the garden section and buying the plants there for cheaper. All you have to do is take the plants out of the pot, shake the dirt off and put into the tank."

GrimmGoby said:
Lol, I went to my Local Walmart, and I was asking about there plants, and the guy said "We charge $5.99 for our plants in the tank, but you would be better off going to the garden section and buying the plants there for cheaper. All you have to do is take the plants out of the pot, shake the dirt off and put into the tank."

...your joking riight? please...
please tell me you are

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
...your joking riight? please...
please tell me you are

I'm serious.

I asked the guy, are you serious? He said "Yeah, we do it all the time" I could not believe it.

Sounds about right from them.

Each time I go into walmart I'm surprised to see anything alive in the tanks.

One thing to consider those of you who consider buying fish from these places as 'rescues', you mightve won the battle but you are losing ground in the war.

You save those poor bettas from doom and in response walmart stocks twice as many in their place.

So you saved a few, but at what cost? Try to see the bigger picture.

GrimmGoby said:

HAHA! Sounds like my Petco, they have Dracaena turning brown and tell people it's a great aquarium plant :ermm:.

At my wally world, they're 3.99 and since no one works in the area I ended up bagging my own. There were 2 workers near by that were afraid to go near the tank wall lol.

Back
Top Bottom