Just purchased 210 Gallon Tank w/ 2 overflow kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgmatzke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Just purchased 210 Gallon Tank w/ 2 overflow kits and this will be my first big freshwater tank. I want to know what is best for filtration, lighting & heaters for this tank? Where is the best place to purchase or tips on building? thanks

wow big tank, big big tank, as for filters i like the fluval range imo anyway! perhaps the FX5 or 405

If you got overflow with the thing I assume its drilled, yes? If yes than your going to need to start looking into a wet/dry style filter or sump. Probably wet/dry do to it being freshwater. Lighting depends on what you want to do with the tank. Plants, fish only, stuff like that. Heaters, I had two 200 watt heaters stuffed in my wet/dry keept the tank comfortable when it was needed. The DIY section, on this websigt, is going to have some info on building sumps and maybe some wet/dry's if you want to go that route. Probably the best thing is to let everyone know what YOU want to do with YOUR tank so that we all can help if you want. 8)

I am wanting fish only, probably Oscars, Silver dollars and cats. Any recommendations on fish would be great, I want fish that are fun and nice to look at. Yes this tank is drilled and has 2 overflow kits, it is a new setup. Is the wet/dry the best way to go, I have a Ehiem proffesional 2 right now with my 75 gallon. I have spot built into my basement wall right now waiting for the tank to come in, I purchased this tank from a LFS for $550.00 with overflows and lids.... good deal? So any type of lighting will work for me since you can't see it. thanks

Sounds like a good deal, yes. Since the tank is drilled and overflowed...it is set up for using a wet/dry sump filtration system, so best idea is to go with that....its a great way to filter a big tank, and you can hide your heaters in the sump. Have you a sump and pump with the tank?

I don't have anything yet, suggestions on what to do for wet/dry and pump would be great.... also lighting and heaters.

Cool deal. The 210 I had, still kicking myself in the but for selling the thing, was a fish only aswell. I use to use the NO flourescents that came with the thing but wasn't happy with them so I upgraded to one of those Coralife PC fixtures that was 6 feet long. With the 4 96 watt bulbs there was more than enough light for the fish and after dark would turn on the moonlights. Absolutly amazing. Just an idea for lighting. As far as the wet/dry goes I made one out of a 30gal aquarium for it. Just went down to the lhs and picked up some lexan. Used that to make the seperate areas in the 30 to turn it into a wet/dry. If DIY isn't your thing theres a lot of places that sell the things.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2004+22778
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F26J@/PgNo/1/Class/Aquarium+Wet+Dry+Filters/Shopay00.aspx

This other site is a saltwater sight but the way he builds his sumps and the info given by him is a great help when your trying to make one yourself. Lots of pics
http://www.melevsreef.com/

I was also using a magdrive 1200gph pump, however I needed to upgrade to the 1800gph a couple months down the road. The reason for that was I was filtering the water biologically through the wet/dry and then pumping it through an ocean clear canister filter. A rather big water polisher. But if I had to do it again I think I could get by without it.
The heaters I had were two cheapy ones from wally world. 200watts each. Didnt even need to use them in the summer, but during the winter yes. 400 watts may not sound like a lot for a 210, but being that all the water was circulating on them in the wet/dry seemed to work okay.
Another thing to consider is when or if you order the sump you need to order the hardware that goes with it to. The plumbing to hook the pump back to the tank, and the large flexi tubes that go from the draing to the filter. Also maybe some pvc and fittings depending on how you want to set your plumbing up.
Okay so keep up the question so we can get that 210 of yours up and running! 8)

Back
Top Bottom