Just realized my juvie angel is missing a feeler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemamauggly

Aquarium Advice Freak
He eats absolutely fine and shows no signs of struggling to swim at all. If anything he eats the most of all my fish. Is he going to be ok? Will it grow back? Has anyone else had this happen? I don't want to run into problems later on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1454458719710.jpg
    1454458719710.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 54
By feeler do you mean his barbel. another name is wisker. And he will be fine. It happens b occasionally when they do battle with other fish.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will it grow back

He eats absolutely fine and shows no signs of struggling to swim at all. If anything he eats the most of all my fish. Is he going to be ok? Will it grow back? Has anyone else had this happen? I don't want to run into problems later on.

Just for an FYI, the 2 long thin "barbels" on the bottom of the fish are actually the Pelvic FINS not barbels. ;)
If they were there before, there is a chance they will grow back but it depends entirely on why they went missing. If it were disease, the chances go up once the disease is remedied and the fish gets good food to help build back up it's strength and if the tank environment stays healthy and clean. ( It can take a long time for them to grow back so be aware of this.) If they were missing all along, chances are they will not grow back as it would be a deformity, most likely from "birth." The good news is that the fish can survive without 1 or both of these fins but swimming can become an issue in currents in the tank. The only time the missing fin becomes an issue is if you decide to breed this fish. If the missing fin is a deformity, I strongly urge you not to breed the fish as that will be passed on to future generations and there are enough deformed fish already on the market that we AAers are trying to get rid of. :whistle:(y)

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom