Just rescued an angel fish and 2 silver dollar fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedikeens11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Long story short a friend of mines had these poor fish in a 50g a little less than a year and never did a single water change. The water wasn't even green it was a yellowy brown sludge. The water was just high enough for the full grown Angel's top fin to be sticking out the top as his bottom fins were dragging the bottom hard gravel. There was no water movement at all so i do not understand how they survived. Their diet consisted of regular flakes when it was remembered.
I could not stay there without fixing this and my friend stated he was just waiting for them to die...I couldnt let that happen. So I took them home in a tiny jar and because the only tank I have up and running at the moment is my 10g. Yes I know the angel needs at least a 30g and it so happens I have one just need to get a filter, heater, and a hood for it. Till then id much rather see them in this tank till I can get the 30g ready.
What im asking is how do I care for these guys? What should I be looking for? Behaviours? What kind of food should I get them? Water temp is 76 and water perimeters are perfect. I have 5 Cory catfish I was gona put back in that tank as I had just switched from gravel to sand. Will they be ok with these three fish? Cories are currently chillin with my betta fish in a 5g and I feel thats to small. All and any advice is needed! Please dont remind me that the 10g is too small!!! I know this!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well no one has any advice for me but s eeings how 63 people have viewed this just wanted to let everyone know ive set up the 30g and started cycling...once I see some numbers I will be moving them over....

First - awesome job on the rescue. I am sure being in a 10 until u get the 30 ready is way better than where they were.

Re care for them I don't know as i don't have those fish but you can easily look that up online. Live aquaria.com is good I believe.

Good luck!!

Can you add some filter media from your smaller tank/s to the 30 to get it going ? I'm not all knowing in angels but I think 78 deg and a good hearty diet will go a long way... Also no spazzing nippy fish in there with them..

Ive put half the media from my 5 and ten into the 30. I only have my cories as the silver dollars are scared of everything. They flip out when i put the lights on...they've been thru enough I don't want to put anymore pressure on them. Yeah I've looked at every article Google has put out there on these two fish as ive never been interested in gettin any of them. Thanks guys!!

There was no water movement at all so i do not understand how they survived. Their diet consisted of regular flakes when it was remembered.

They survived probably because certain living organisms tend to be quite resilient. Little food means little waste and in nature fish don't get to eat twice a day. Not that they had good life, and their health/immune system might have degraded, but they adapted.

Good that they are in better home now. Congrats!

Any advice for the silver dollar fish?

I don't know anything about them but it sounds like the fish are very hardy so I wouldn't sweat it unless you start to see sick like behaviors.

They just started eating as of last night and are cominng out when the light is on. The angel is a slow fish...not very exciting. Thank you all who has replied!!!

Silver dollars are herbivores and need to be fed algae/plant based foods along with veggies such as cooked, deshelled pea's, and even slices of zucchini or cucumber.

Silver dollars are herbivores so they need to be fed algae/plant based foods along with veggies such as cooked, deshelled, pea's and slices of zucchini or cucumber. Angels also like some greens in their diet and most love pea's.

Also Silver dollars get quite large and will outgrow a 30g rather quickly once they are fed properly. For now this is fine but if you intend to keep them you'll need to think about a larger tank down the road.

a

Yeah ive read and seen some videos of these fish getting up to the size of a dinner plate. My friend has an 80g and said he'd take them anytime. But for the peas? I buy a bag of frozen peas boil a few..deshell them and plop them in? I do this with my betta fish so just wanted to make sure before I thru in more.

Silver dollars love any veggies mine loved cucs, peas, yellow pepper, zucchini, kale, and roman lettuce. And the more hiding places the better. Btw they love shade I made a shade spot by putting needle point mesh on one side of the tank held by sucking cups.

Thank you JessiNoel21 I read that they are kinda sensitive to lights but get use to it. I went out and found some rocks to build a cave (don't think it'll fit them after a good diet) but makin a shady spots sounds even better. Thank you!!!

Just microwave some pea's in water till they are slightly softened. Deshell them and I always squished them slightly to so they are easier to eat for small mouth fish. Since these fish never had fresh foods it may take some time to get them to try new foods. Over the years I've found pea's are the best starter food when trying to get new fish to eat fresh veggies.

Thanks guys...you've been most helpful!!!!

Back
Top Bottom