Keeping a Betta with an African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 African dwarf frogs with my betta and they all get along well. The frogs can be a little aggressive over food, but the betta is much faster and stays out of their way. So it works out well for me, but every fish has their own personality and might not put up with the frogs as well as mine does.

Thanks for responding. I have other tanks I can try an African Dwarf Frog with as well if it doesn't work out. I really want one for some reason.

Keep an eye on the frog's toes. If your Betta doesn't like the frog missing toes may likely be a first sign that the Betta is nipping at it.

Would the frog be better off in a 55g community tank with Pearl Gouramis, rasboras, neons, and corys?

1) African Dwarf frogs are social. Get at least two.
2) be aware that they may not eat pellets, and can be a little slow to find the food. Mine absolutely refuse to eat pellets, and even frozen bloodworms and glass worms had to be shaken to mimic movement before the girls realized the worms were food. (I was already using tweezers to make sure they actually got food and the betta didn't end up with all of it.
3) bettas are pigs. You may have to hand feed them to make sure they get a fair share.
4) because of these problems frogs that have spent too much time at the pet shop may already be starving. I had let my LFS know I wanted some, so they let me know when their next shipment arrived. Of the frogs left some are plump, but several are being out competed (by other frogs) and have wasp-waists due to starvation. Be aware that a frog that starved may die no matter how carefully you feed it and DON"T immediately stuff it, that's the worst thing you can do for something starved.
5) Betta may need protection from the frogs! My frogs (once, when I first got them) mistook the bettas tail for food and he had a semi circle missing till it grew back. It's been months and no similar incidents, but be aware it can happen.

Bettas and frogs can get along, but you may have to take precautions like hand feeding with tweezers, and supervising when you first introduce the frogs to make sure the betta isn't preventing them from reaching the surface to breath. Once you get things running smoothly, it can be a good combination. I still hand/tweezer feed but it's mostly because I like how tame it has made the frogs and betta. I even briefly had one frog swim inside my hand and my betta swims so close his fins brush against my hand because it means food and they want the food as fast as possible.

IMO/E it's not a great idea. Your risking the betta harming the frogs or vise versa. Many of us have seen bettas bothering the frogs, but what you hear less about is the frogs bothering the betta, which is definitely a possibility. I've had frogs swallowing limbs of other frogs during feedings, and also have had brutal knock down drag out fights between my males that I would not want a betta around for. Another issue I had when keeping ADF's with fish is trying to get them enough food without overfeeding the fish. You will need to target feed the frogs since they don't see well and won't be able to compete for food with fish. That part seems easy, but keeping the betta out of it can be tricky. I ended up with overstuffed fish because they kept darting in and taking from the frogs, even if I was delivering the food right to the tip of their noses. For years now I've kept my frogs in a species only tank and that what I recommend.

However you decide to keep them, I recommend for ADF's you set the temp to 80. Their skin is very sensitive and prone to infection if damaged, so inspect any decor you might be adding for rough or sharp edges. Live plants are best. They will spend a lot of time in the live plants but IME they care not for fakes, and they are more likely to have pokeys. A sturdy floating/tall plant (stem plants like pennywort work great) is a good idea so they can easily rest near the surface when needed. A sponge filter is a great idea. I've had frogs get stuck in the intake of a HOB filter and could not be removed. Nasty situation. Feed them only frog and tadpole bites (look for HBH and/or Reptomin brands) along with meaty foods like frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. If you keep them in a species only tank, you don't need to target feed, but feed in the same place every day so they know right where to go, and less is lost/wasted, creating a lot less clean up for you. Always avoid freeze dried foods. Using a small feeding dish is great. If you can, get 2 females for each male. During their prime there will be a whole lotta mating going on, and I'm not sure if you've seen it, it's called amplexus, it's very strenuous on the female. To sex them, look for a little bump under the armpit only the males have. All males or all females if fine as well.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice above.

I wouldn't put it in a 55 gallon either. I recall reading somewhere that it is best to keep them in a shallow tank (12-16 inches) as they must surface to breath, of course, and are not the best swimmers as their sight is poor.

Good call blert. I missed that it was a 55. It MAY be fine to keep them in a tank that tall, but I'd err on the side of caution and avoid it.

One of the possible tanks I was going to put a frog or frogs in was a 55, but my target was for a 10g.

I think I may wait until I have room to set up another 10g and just do a species only tank.

Back
Top Bottom