Keeping an air pump quiet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to get an airpump for my new tank - just for bubble decoration really. Probably the Tetratec APS300.

The tank is in my living room so I need to keep it as quiet as possible, preferably silent! To that end the first thing is I'm putting it in a solid oak cabinet just below the tank.

Secondly I've seen advice about wrapping it in a towel, and other advice about putting it in a box.

I've thought about putting into a plastic tupperware box with a towel wrapped around it and sealed up, with holes drilled to allow the airlines out and power in. But of course the pump itself needs a supply of air, otherwise what will it pump! So I would be interested to hear if anyone has some solutions to keeping the things quiet!

I opened mine and finding it was a diaphragm pump I put a piece of sponge in it between the cover and the part that vibrates just enough to eliminate the excess vibration but not stop the parts or get in between the the parts and the magnet. I let it run for a while in front of me while watching tv and it runs like a dream and it very quite.

Ive got an APS300 pump, its generally pretty silent running, cant hear it in the day but we have to turn it off at night because the fish tank is in our bedroom. Its not the pump thats noisey at night its the bubbles in tank.

Ive got an APS300 pump, its generally pretty silent running, cant hear it in the day but we have to turn it off at night because the fish tank is in our bedroom. Its not the pump thats noisey at night its the bubbles in tank.

That's strange because, my coincidence I bought an APS300 last night. And, my god, this thing is noisy! I mean *really* noisy. I swear if it was run by my cars diesel engine it would be less noisy than this thing! I was going to put it in a cupboard below the tank but that wouldn't work you'd still hear it clearly, you'd hear it if it was in next doors house!

Going to have to take it back :(.

i also bough a air pump that was loud, someone here told me to put it in a box, the other told me to sit it on top of a computer mouse pad. after putting it in the box it made less sound, the air pump do shake n move the box around but what the ****. i heavnt try sitting the pump on a mouse pad yet but ill try once i can find my mouse pad.

From searching online several people recommend the Eheim pumps as being quiet, is this right?

Although several people also say the Tetratec pumps are quiet too!

I use adjustable flow pumps sitting on a little piece of memory foam from an old pillow. Quiet... but I still just turn them down at night.

Back
Top Bottom