keeping crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just got a new 5g and im think of keeping one of those blue crayfish guys ..what do i need to know about keeping these? habitat, feeding, etc...

I doubt it. Just about anything you put in there will eventually end up in the pinchers. They are definately something suited to a species only tank.

I would think perhaps you could introduce a high-level fish... it would stay out of the crayfishes way. But you're looking at limited space since it's a 5 gal.

As for the habitat, if it were me, I'd do either black or white sand (sand is so much easier, to me- and crayfish will bury in it) about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick.

Then I'd do plants, probably false so they wont get torn up or easily uprooted. I'd also buy either rocks or cave type decor from the LFS to create hiding places. Not so much that you'd never see the guy, though! :)

Keeping one is a good choice, because they are territorial. They can get up to 5'' in length, as well, so two would be crowded.

They like the water to be within 68-85 degrees and the pH can be anywhere from 6.5-8.0, so they're not picky. They're omnivorous and will eat sinking pellet food, flake food, and algae.

They do a little better in water that is harder rather than softer, since they have a shell to maintain. They are cool creatures and for a small tank they are a wonderful idea - no ghost shrimp will be safe! There are crab diets that you can supplement with that have the minerals they need, also.

I'm not sure. Most say that anubias sp. and java fern are not tasty, but I have not kept one with plants - they have a reputation for eating them, so start out with just a little bit and see.

We will of course want to see pics!

Research what species "blue lobster" this is. Some species get 5", some 8" and other species get up to a foot long. Far to big for a 5g.

Any kind of live plant might be a bad idea. More than likely the lobster will just do its own aquascaping. Leading to poor water quality if the clippings are'nt removed from the tank.

As mentioned, a cave for hiding and maybe a small piece of driftwood would be sufficient. Keep in mind, these blue lobsters can get rather large. As it grows, it's going to need more room. Maybe even a 10g tank.

I can't stress enough how important it is to feed larger crustations correctly (starvation is a leading cause of death). This goes hand in hand, with proper WEEKLY WC's.

I have an Indian Prawn shrimp thats over 4" long in a 5g ( had it close to two years now). I feed this pig 2 or 3 times a day and it still acts like it can't get enough food. I do a 50% WC weekly to keep the amon down with this heavy feeding schedule. Molts about every two weeks. He and a red clawed crab in the same tank are the black sheep of my tanks. They just don't play well with thier tank mates :oops:

Does the crab food Tankgirl mentioned contain Iodine? I have read that ghost shrimp need to have Iodine drops added once a week to the water for when they molt and I'm wondering if the crab food can take the place of the Iodine drops. I would imagine that all crustaceans would need the Iodine. Is this true?

Thanks

mojo troll-

what kind of food do you feed your crayfish/lobster...i am really interested in keeping one or two but don't want to screw up their diet.

Crayfish, like shrimp, need calcium for the exoskeleton after molting, and Hikari Crab Cuisine (I think that is what it is called) does supply calcium. I do not know about iodine, other than that shrimp and lobster we eat contains it.

I've personally never used iodine with any of my crustations. Never seem to have a problem. Some people might disagree. I try to keep what I add to my tanks to a very minimum.

The only problem I've had with crustations was in my planted tank. On this particular tank I dose Mag Sulf (Epson Salt) for the plants. At first I was dosing a big doss once a week. After loosing a couple of ghost shrimp and testing how tough a bamboo shrimp can be. I figured out that I was adding to much Epson at one time. I still add the same amount of Epson per week, only now I break it up into 2 or 3 smaller dosses through out the week. The bamboo shrimp really apprechiated this :oops:

BTW.....I don't add salt to any of my other tanks that have crustations as well. Only the planted tank and thats strickly for plant nutrients. HTH

Back
Top Bottom