Keeping multiple male gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eoin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering. Would it be possible to keep several single males from different peaceful varieties of gouramis? For instance, would it be possible to keep a Dwarf Gourami, with a Honey Dwarf Gourami, and a Licorice Gourami (for example), all in the same tank? Or would this cause problems?

That no one has replied either means that no one knows, or that the answer is so obvious I should have thought of it myself. :?

I'm just getting into gouramis...so I'm not an expert. But the rule of thumb is that male fish in general will "spar" with each other; mostly for the attention of females (if there are any around). (This doesn't have to be a BAD thing...but will get out of control if you have too many males in a small space)
Also, gourami of different types are not compatible in the same tank. (there may be exceptions - but it's very risky). Given these facts - males of multiple gourami types in one tank is NOT a good idea.... :wink:
I would pick one gourami type and purchase 1 male and 2 females. (or 2 males, 4 females) You'll want to keep more females than males - males can be quite boistrous for the poor females. :roll:
Or you could probably get 3 females (no males).... I'm not 100% sure about that but you could PM Christmasfish and ask her.

*soft clapping*
very nice smallfry..it is always nice to see someone quick on the uptake! Your ratios are good!

Eoin, your post prolly got buried and missed.
And as mentioned..it is NOT a good idea at all.
And haven't you already had a gourami problem recently? :?
Perhaps if you have a 55 or larger, you could have a blue gourami and a powder blue or a powder blue and a flame.
More space allows more exceptions in most situations regarding our finned friends.
Even bettas do not fight to the death in the wild...they rarely fight at all (though its ugly when they do..that is what brought them to bettors attentions in the first place)
My grandfather had several males in a huge shallow pondlike tank. No major damage to any. But who has a 6ft tank that they think to put two bettas in? Or one 3ft so planted the fish are invisible?

basically here is the easier rule of thumb: there are two species that are more betta like in temperment.. the dwarf gourami (Colisa)...and the two spot (Trichogaster t.) it's summatran sub sp. the blue gourami. Any mix with these fish in species groups or communities, has to be carefully planned.
And a dwarf gourami male is just territorial period, if he is setting up a nest , he is just as likely to shred or maim an uninvited femaleas a lesser male. the larger fish are in general calmer in temperment.

liquorice are tiny, gentle, social cave nesters from soft moving waters. Discounting the fact they need specialized water requirements (which other gourami wil enjoy but not reversible); the larger and aggressive gourami may stress them to death or outright stalk them and kill them.They are also sensitive like neon tetras and mostly use the gills proper. Chocolates also are special needs and are sensetive to harrassment. Even if there is an unusual aggressive amongst them.
Ulnless you carefully research the species for the most part: Don't Mix Labyrinths.
And unfortuneately the most congenial are the mouthbrooders or the 8-10 inch ones :roll:
And if I remember..you already have a pretty full and small community.

I currently have 3 Dwarf males in a 75 gal tank. I originally had 2, but then I saw a previous post by Christmasfish recommending an odd number, so I went out and picked up a 3rd. They are a Powder Blue, a Red Flame, and one that was just called a plain Dwarf in my LFS (but he looks orangey/blue).

Anyways, there's definitely some intermitent chasing that goes on. The territories of each one seem to vary by the week, and they seem to take turns being the "alpha" of the trio.

After several months, I've never seen any ferocious behaviour, and all 3 appear to be healthy, intact, active, and vibrant. But I don't think that would be the case if the tank was a lot smaller and there weren't a lot of places to hideout for a minute when a chase happens.

I've been tempted to get a couple more, because they really are a great fish to watch, but I decided not to risk the balance that seems to have been established.

Normally when I say three, I mean one male per two-3 females. It is a male/ female ratio...^_^

heh..you have a 75 gallon..!
And even then you see the territory changes.
But I am usually advising tanks under 40 gallons with full communities....
In a large tank even the gnarly species like colisa can settle down.
With your males and some space..the meanest fish can't decide WHO to chase..so it dilutes his aggression some :twisted:
Dwarves are capable of being the only fish of their species if there is movement and life around them. They are just not a good candidate to live alone in a 5 gallonand still stay healthy. Like Betta, they get lonely..they just don't like close relatives (hmmm..like some people)

I wouldn't chance another male for sure..and a female or two will be harrassed to no end with three males in a tank...you'd have to pick one more female than males to have dithering! :mrgreen:

I will chime in here and agree with Christmasfish (as usual) and just stress that male gouramis (dwarfs in particular) are feisty to say the least, and particular care must be taken with them, no matter what the size tank. IME, way more room than you think is likely required.

Heh..I lived in a REALLY backwoods dry county of N.Carolina..where hair is pronounced "HhAr" and the county..Rutherfordton is pronounced "Rolftun"
I heard all kinds of peculiar homilies...
Like: "as much sense as a doffer has fingers" =local equivalent of a few short
and: "switch ya til the blood runs in yer shoes"..=need translation?
and: "paya tenshen like a green hownd" ...=ADD poster child

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I grew up in "hickville" too...just further north (upstate NY - Adirondack Mtns). My mom still calls underwear "grundies".... :roll:

(Blantantly contributes to hijack) Who was it on here, Reefrunner or Fishfreek, who had a good one - dumber than a sack of hair.

Back
Top Bottom