keeping snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purrfect

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The snail population in the fish tank has increased. I do not want them there any more, if they multiply with this speed. My daughter wants to keep them. Will they survive in a 2 gallon betta tank, where is no filter nor heater. In what conditions?

Thanks.

How many snails? I would say that they will need a filtration unit. What kind of snails are they? If they are apple snails, the lfs should take them off your hands. If they are MTS, there are certain fish that will eat them. If I'm not mistaken (which I might be), I think Clown Loaches will eat them.

With loaches you won't probably end up with no snails just a lot fewer. & yes as far as I known clown loaches are best at eating them up but they get pretty big.
In my experience as long as they have food those rabbit reproducing snails will live in any old water.

The snails should be fine in the betta tank. If they betta can live in there with whatever the temp is at, the snails should do fine as well. Just make sure you keep them in check and not get toooo many because before you know it they will be out of control and dirtying the tank water. Btw, to keep the snails that are in your tank right now "in check" just smash them against the glass when you see them and then remove them from the tank. (thats IF they are relatively small with a not so hard shell.) Just take a few out of your tank and put them in the betta tank. Within a few weeks you'll start seeing the population increasing.
HTH
-Stewie

Thanks for all the good advice. I put some snails in the betta tank, where is no bettas. (They did not survive, too cold in the winter). I'll give them some food and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom