Keyhole Cichlid groups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liamdalr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just looking for some thoughts on Keyhole communities. I have 4 x Keyhole Cichlids in a 55g set up. Two have paired up and been spawning and keep chasing off the other two which I think are both female. Should I be rehoming the two female or would they all be happier together once spawing is over? Not sure if Keyholes prefer larger groups or pairs only. For additional info I have 3x pearl Gourami and 6x white cloud minnow in the tank.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Liam

Hey Liam, disclaimer, I've never owned keyhole cichlids. But I saw that you hadn't gotten any responses and figured I'd throw in my 2 cents and see if any cichlid experts on here might see this and give you better help.

I plan on owning keyholes sometime in the future so I did a little bit of research a while back. Most tanks I see are community set ups with only one pair of keyholes. I've also read that people typically buy multiple juveniles (as you did) to try to find a pair and then they rehome the others.

So if it were me I would rehome the other two but I can't guarantee they won't be perfectly happy all together following the spawn.

I hope this helps or it gets someone else with an expert opinion to see this and they help lol.

Back
Top Bottom