KH / GH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumpnfishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now that I?m paying attention to KH and GH, (just a few months ago I didn't know what they stood for) I'm trying to figure out what is a good KH level? :confused:

As is often pointed out, using just RO water for FW tanks (like have been doing for years) is not a good thing. I've started mixing in a little straight tap water (from my well before it goes through the water softener) to add buffering.

The other day while I was testing my tanks I also tested my tap water. The guy at the LFS mentioned that the local Indiana water might as well as be solid rock because of the hardness. My well water tested with a KH of 18 and I gave up on the GH at 20. (Everyone should test their source water BEFORE they start pouring it in the tank).

So I have RO and very hard tap water to mix up my own special brew.:drinking:

What KH / GH levels do most of you shoot for and why? :?:

Depends on the type of fish. I like a low KH and a GH of about 5. That is what most of my fish appreciate.

Well in my 95 gal I wanted to setup for Angelfish and one site put them at 5 to 25 Kh and in my 29 gal I want to setup for Neons which the same site said 5 to 20 Kh.

And I know they generally say hard water for Cichlids (Angelfish) and soft for tetras (Neons).

My understanding is softwater has more problems with buffering so should I shoot for a higher Kh in that tank?

Or should I just shoot for 5 and leave it at that? :rolleyes:

Since Neons are the natural prey of Angelfish, you'll find that they should do just fine in the same conditions. Stability is the key more than exactly perfect levels.

Angels like soft water as well. African lake cichlids are the ones that like hard water. What are your tap readings? Neons and angels are tank bred for years and will adapt to just about anything.

Well in my 95 gal I wanted to setup for Angelfish and one site put them at 5 to 25 Kh and in my 29 gal I want to setup for Neons which the same site said 5 to 20 Kh.

And I know they generally say hard water for Cichlids (Angelfish) and soft for tetras (Neons).

As pointed out already angelfish and neons will occupy nearly the same areas in the wild. When people say hard water for "cichlids" they are using the term "cichlids" loosely to refer to African cichlids. Species from South America and dwarf cichlids found in West Africa will be found in soft water where they are present in the wild. It all depends on what you want to do as far as what water parameters you need. I have angelfish and they are spawning in water with a pH of 7.8-8.0 and a 17dKH and hard water. The fish were bred out of their wild habitat and have probably never seen acidic and soft water. That's the case with most fish that are bred. The only real reason for trying to obtain the conditions seen in the wild is when you have actual wild specimens that you are trying to keep/breed or for some fish that absolutely "must have" those conditions. My CRS for example "need" an acidic water that is soft as well in order to live and breed. My RCS on the other hand, along with my snowball shrimp and yellow shrimp need an alkaline pH with moderately hard water. For angels though you should be just fine in about any pH and hardness. Same goes for the neons which I'm sure are commercially bred.

Thanks for all the replies!

I've never really monitored Kh before so I wasn't sure what to look for. But it sounds like for the most part the main goal is stability.

Again thanks everyone! :D

Back
Top Bottom