kh / gh test results... seem right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i got a nutrafin gh/kh test kit. its the ones you add the drop and look for color change like the api one.

I tested both water from my tank and my tap

tank results:
kh = 2 drops = 20ppm
gh = 4 drops = 80ppm

tap results:
kh = 7 drops = 70ppm
gh = 8 drops = 160ppm

the manual says to multiply the number of drops of kh by 10 to get the ppm / mg/L value
the manual says to multiply the number of drops of gh by 20 to get the ppm / mg/L value

no idea as to what i should be seeing and if this is normal.

my tank is new heavily planted and is fully cycled with a good amount of stock, check my profile for plants and fish ect.

ph in my tank is 6.4-6.6 and holds there.

let me know what you all think.

so i got a nutrafin gh/kh test kit. its the ones you add the drop and look for color change like the api one.

I tested both water from my tank and my tap

tank results:
kh = 2 drops = 20ppm
gh = 4 drops = 80ppm

tap results:
kh = 7 drops = 70ppm
gh = 8 drops = 160ppm

the manual says to multiply the number of drops of kh by 10 to get the ppm / mg/L value
the manual says to multiply the number of drops of gh by 20 to get the ppm / mg/L value

no idea as to what i should be seeing and if this is normal.

my tank is new heavily planted and is fully cycled with a good amount of stock, check my profile for plants and fish ect.

ph in my tank is 6.4-6.6 and holds there.

let me know what you all think.

Do you test your pH at different times off day? Just before lights on/off.

That's almost normal for a softer/acid tank.

The instructions seem the same as many manufacturers. Is it degrees hardness to begin with?

The difference in tap/tank water the fish/plants are using the elements in the water calcium magnesium chloride and bicarbonate become depleted in a closed system. (List not exclusive other elements disappear)

Do you only use tap water?

what do you mean by only using tap water?

and yes its degree to start with.

Do you fill your tank with only tap water or do you cut it with RO because that's quite a difference. (That's what I should have asked)

I would guess your tap water is around 7.8 pH from that Kh reading.
(After 24hrs)

While it isn't a problem, a massive water change during times of crisis may not yield good results. There is a significant difference.

(Not trying to make you mad or wind you up or any other silly thing)

How often do you tackle the tank? Just out of interest.

since the tank is still new i haven't done any major wc's outside of one during the near end of cycle.

since then i did like 2 x 5g top offs with tap.

i don't use cut with ro. my tap is around 7.8ph and yes i am aware i need to do small 15-20% changes which will probably happen like every 2-3 weeks by the look of things because my tank is soo havily planted levels are really low

Then I think everything is in order.

Normally though (this is my opinion) the tank and tap should be closer. I used just tap for a few years.

What you are seeing is depletion of used elements and an abundance of what remains. It's up to you here, I would suggest a few small changes (like you say) just more often to bring these levels closer and to restore consumed/depleted elements.

This way if for some reason you need to do a major water change there will be less chance of shock induced illness triggered in your stock. This will only add to the problems you'd already have when such a change was needed.

The debate on regularity of water changes continues. . .
(Still it's nice to witness what happens over time)

This is just an assumption, the 5 gal top ups are monthly?
There is more to water changes than the control of nitrogenous waste, I assume by low levels you mean ammonia etc?

tops ups are about once a week it seems where i need to add 5g

yes 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and the nitrates stay at 5ppm so i think it staying low. i read other get 10-30 on the regular.

i am basically observing how my tank ecosystem is functioning without disturbing and messing too much

That's pretty cool and a great learning curve.

All I can say is don't push it too far! You won't like the results.
Normally a major die back to restore equilibrium, this will include livestock.

The term often used is "old tank syndrome"

Have fun. . . . .

I think the key thing you mentioned is pH is stable ...

If pH is stable and you want to go further, look into total dissolved solids and osmotic stress. I'm really new here but from what I've and learned the osmotic stress and pH seem more critical, and adjusting GH and KH should keep them in kind.

Tds test meters are cheap on amazon. If I find it I'll like an article about how osmotic stress may be the real culprit in many fish deaths, and that it's harder on fish than pH swings.

Back
Top Bottom