killie keepers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am starting a killifish tank. a 6 gal ADA cube. will be planted. I ordered a pair from aquabid (Aphyosemion ahli).

Anyone with suggestions?

I've kept a few different species of killies. Always in 5.5gal tanks. They are pretty eay to breed.

Just make sure the water is pretty calm. Don't want too much water mocement. Theres not really much special care needed for most killies. People just tend to stay away from the because of their short life span.

Good luck, and take lots of pics!

you will love them. My bedroom is devoted to them. I have 12 different species, ap. australe orange, ap. australe ebt 96/27, ap. striatum, chromo. bitaeniatum (ijebu ode), fp. gardneri N'Sukka, fp. gardneri lafia, fp. scheeli, fp. walkeri kutunse, fp. sjostedti (blue gularis), fp. filamentosus, notho. patrizi. Those are the pure strains. We also have Fp. gardneri czech republic, which is an aquarium strain.

They are very easy to breed, they are not picky. If you are going to collect the eggs though, make sure you give them the right medium to make collecting the eggs easier for you.

And not all killies have short life spans. If you get into the non annuals, you get fish that will live 2-3 years, if well taken care of. All of mine are non annuals, except for the notho patrizi.

Check out the american killifish assoctiation. They have lots of useful information.

Even annuals, such as Nothobranchius species will live 2 years in a tank. Some of the Nothos are among the most colourful fish in the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom